Customer Relations
Posted by Marty on July 13, 19100 at 13:00:40:
OK, all you Plumber/lawyer wanabes: I've gotten into a situation and would appreciate other plumbers' thoughts and opinions.
First, a brief background history: A week ago I replaced a section of 3" stack for a new customer. The section was abut 6' long that was connected from the TY fitting for the toilet drain arm to the base of the stack. ALL work was in the basement. The pvc pipe that was originally there was so poorly installed, I simply had to wiggle it out of the TY to remove it. No sawzall or pipe cutters required. Job complete, customer's happy. I also quoted for this customer the plumbing for a full bathroom renovation as well. This morning, I get a call from this customer saying that water has poured in around the plumbing roof vent and now her kitchen ceiling is waterdamaged and needs repair/replacement. A roofer was called in and found a 3/4" gap between the vent pipe and the roof flashing. We've had a couple of severe rainstorms recently which only worsened the situation.She has already contacted her insurance company. The repair work is estimated to be around $500.00 ( by her insurance estimations)
I strongly feel that my repair work in the basement did not cause this gap to appear at the roof vent. As I stated before, I was able to pop the old pipe without any effort. I don't believe that would have caused the leakage at the roof and I know the stack didn't drop or shift when I worked on it. If I'm at fault, I have no problem paying for the repairs, but I don't think I am. Do I balk at this situation, lose a customer and possible future work, or do I bite the bullet and eat this repair charge? I would appreciate hearing so serious replies to my situation. Terry, could I get your opinion as well? Thanks to all, Marty

Replies to this post