Re: LP water heater
Posted by hj on July 03, 19100 at 08:53:08:
In response to Re: LP water heater
An LP heater should cost the same as a natural gas one, but some suppliers charge a little more due to the smaller demand for them. The only difference is the size of the burner orifice which has no bearing on the cost, and the thermostat which has a left hand thread on the burner outlet, again not a cost item except for the demand for them.

: i am buying a house in central florida. it's about 35 years old and in need of lots of updating. the water heater is electric but undersized, so i'll probably replace it soon.

: i own a gas clothes dryer (whirlpool) and would prefer not to replace it.

: there is no natural gas service to the homes in my neighborhood. however, a local propane company will install a 120 gallon tank, run a line to the house and fill the tank for $99.

: the company will also rebate $250 toward the cost of an LP water heater and $85 toward the conversion of the dryer.

: whirlpool makes a kit for converting natural gas dryers to LP. don't have the price yet but i don't think it's too bad.

: however, i'm curious about the cost of an LP heater compared to gas. i have seen some units on-line that cost as much as $1400, and i'm floored. it would be hard to justify that kind of outlay even though LP seems to be a much cheaper way to heat water and dry clothes.

: what do you think of my idea?

: BTW i have an undersized ruud heat pump so i may be replacing that as well. do you recommend a waste heat recovery unit that shunts exhaust heat to the water heater?

: thanks for taking time to respond.

Replies to this post
There are none.