Posted by Various plumbers on July 02, 19100 at 19:31:50:
In response to Re: Chlorine bowl cleaning tablets and your toilet

I don't believe this is from the Chlorine tablets, I have seen the same
situation in Ohio on well systems I am forced to agree that it is from the
sewer gases.
In the mid 60's their was a period that copper was not manufactured to the
highest standards the regulations of copper were lowered something to do
with the Vietnam war. I am not to sure I am to young this is what my dad
told me I have also seen some thin copper in pressure copper for the same time. Bob Beall

I looked at your photo. I assume that it is rotated correctly, the leak was on the bottom. I've seen this many a time with copper. Cause ... The owner of this property did not flush their toilet after each use. Lets assume that the mister goes to bed late and did not flush because the toilet does make some noise. Some time later the Mrs. gets up and she goes, again she does not flush, maybe one child does the same. Pretty soon you have a high concentration of urine. Any more use from any family member and as water finds it's own level you have a corrosive liquid gradually taking out the copper. Usually a family with this habit will also have the build up in the jet hole in the bowl. You can send the sample to the Copper Development Association www.copper.org They will analyze and give you a report.
Bill Parr

I have replaced the same line as you and the home owner put a 2
bricks in his tank to save water. I think the heavy concentration of
urine and being only DWV had a lot to do with the deteriation of the
pipe.This pipe was only 3 yrs old. Back in 1965.
Dale's Plumbing Service Inc LMP

I looked over the photo, and surely believe that I've seen this before in a couple of cases. The sewer gases theory is correct, but the chlorine tablets, if flushed, could be the causative of contributory agent. The reasoning? So:
One of the waste products of anaerobic bacterial action on sewage is Hydrogen Sulfide gas. (H2S) As this gas travels up the sewer from the septic tank or other source, it is combined with the water vapor in the air in the pipe. The product compound, H2SO4, is best known to us as Sulfuric Acid. As it is condensed to it's liquid state, it runs to the bottom of the pipe, then down the entire line, corroding at the invert until failure.
The same scenario can occur with Chlorine gas. Once release as free Chlorine, It can combine with Hydrogen as HCl, and with water to form Hydrochloric Acid, and then the process is the same as above.
A possible test to determine the culprit in this case would be to have a qualitative analysis performed on the scrapings from the damaged pipe to determine if the corrosion solids are Copper Sulfate, or Copper Chloride/Chlorate.
Lrak---Still lurking around in orbit on the mothership, waiting for the opportunity for world domination when you puny earthling drop your guard for just one minute. Karl Dennis Conley

Sort of like cleaning rat urine in a bath remodel with Clorex. That creates that terrible gas you are talking about. I had to leave the room. I found it better to paint over it with Zerolac white lacquer to "mask and seal" the smell.
Terry

We have found that in some piping the drain line is rotten on top and
other times on the bottom.
When a sewer gas is not vented properly out the roof the gases stay in
the pipe and eat away on the top side that all most never gets washed
clean with fresh water. One.sixes will be causing this on the older
systems very $oon. Be ready to make more money$.
One.sixes need smaller sewers and other means of washing the piping.
Remembering the old wet venting with a drinking fountain at the top most
area to wash the vent stack.
We use to put in flushing systems on drink dispenser drains. That shut
them of to save water. $$$$$$$$$$$ Them we broke up floors to replace
the piping. Great $aving on water. James Rauer

I saw copper ate out by sewer gas at the closet bend and at the wall where trap connects. I guess the sewer gas goes up to trap seal and gets strong at that point, That's why here in St. Louis Mo we could not use dwv anymore, it has to be L cop. I also saw copper ate up by chlorine, but it was a stronger kind, not those tablets you put in bowl, copper is to high to use anymore for waste.
art retired plbg

original message:
: Have you ever wondered what happens to copper drain lines when you use chlorine bowl cleaning products? The picture above should scare you. The picture shows a three inch copper DWV pipe removed from a closet bend. Needless to say it was a pretty bad leak. I've seen this on commercial bar sinks also. Replacing copper DWV with plastic pipes is the best solution on them, unless it's a fire rated building in which case cast iron may be needed. On them, it's the combination of limes and lemons I believe. Terry

Replies to this post