Re: TOILET - Better description of problem.
Posted by dick on June 16, 19100 at 09:34:26:
In response to Re: TOILET - Better description of problem.
OK it's a lot clearer now! It's still hard to make a judgement without seeing the part. But....The function of this portion of the bowl is to guide the water into the floor flange. It is not usualy submerged in water for any length of time although it is permanently damp.
A good grade of epoxy putty may withstand these conditions.
Clean the broken surface, first with hot soapy water and a stiff brush, then hot water, then laquer thinner. Scrape the broken surface hard with an old screwdriver.
mix the putty and apply it to the broken surface. mold it by hand to form a rough aproximation of the old lip.
Let it cure at least one day, two is better. Don't believe that "cures in 20 min" printed on the package.

Reinstall the toilet with a new wax ring. Shim the toilet so that it is rock solid and bolt it securely to the flange. Movement of the toilet bowl at some time is probably what broke the lip off to start with.

If this doesn't seem feasable then i'm probably still not visualizing the problem right.

:
: I felt I needed to explain this better than when I first wrote it. When we pulled the stool up, we found it broken on the bottom of the bowl. There is a "lip" that fits into the sewer drain that is broken off. It's not the entire piece, only a portion of it, maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of it. It's not cracked beyond the break. (part is actually gone) The plummer I had come said he felt that the stool needed replaced because he didn't know of any way to fix it. I thought perhaps I could use some caulk to build it back up a bit and then use two wax rings to secure it so the water will flow down the drain instead of out on the floor through the place where it is broken. I would really like to keep this tank and bowl combination. What do you more knowledgeable plummer people think?

Replies to this post