Posted by dick on June 14, 19100 at 14:34:44:
In response to Re: TOILET
I don't know of any part on a toilet that could be described as "fitting into a pipe"?????

most modern toilets have two main parts, the tank (big square porcelin box on the back of the toilet, usualy full of water), and the bowl ( round or oval part that you sit on and it in turn sits on the floor, usualy 1/2 full of water.)

some older toilets had the tank mounted high up on the wall and connected to the toilet with a pipe. the bowl was similar to the modern toilets.

If you and the plumber suspected a wax ring leak then I suspect you are talking about the bowl???
A crack in the bowl is usualy visible from the outside and usualy not repairable. the stress from people sitting on and bumping the bowl plus temperture changes etc, will cause the crack to continue to grow.

If your toilet is substantialy different than modern toilets then you will have to make the evaluation about wether it is repairable. Porcelin is a brittle material and generaly considered non repairable. But there are exceptions. If there is no stress on the crack, then you might be able to caulk it and have it last another 50 years. I think thats unlikely but its your call, and a tube of good caulk is only 3-4 bucks.

: I had a plummer out today to change the wax ring in my upstairs toilet. When he pulled the toilet up we found that it wasn't the wax ring messed up but the tank was broken. (The part that fits into the pipe - don't know what it's called.) Anyway, I know the toilet probably isn't orginal to my 100 year old home (even though it was built with a bathroom) but it must be old because I found it listed in "antique toilets" on the net. My question: Is there anyway to "fix" or "rig" this toilet so it doesn't leak and be able to keep it? If not, is there a place to buy these old things? (Fixing would probably be a bettter option cost wise if possible.) Thanks for your help.

Replies to this post