Re: Septic Tank Odors in Home
Posted by More on June 13, 19100 at 19:23:06:
In response to Re: Septic Tank Odors in Home
: Hi: We live in a 5 month old house in eastern NC, serviced by a septic tank (clay soil). When we have rain we experience great amounts of sulfur type fumes. I noticed that the when the wind picks up, even with rain, it goes away quite fast. The area in question is our master br bathroom with toilet, shower, tub, 2 sinks. The venting is 3" pvc through the roof and is tied to a bathroom upstairs. There are just 2 of us so useage is moderate. Upon returning from a 1 week trip, unoccupied, there were severe odors - so bad it tranishes our silver(plate) in days.

: The plumber will be adding an extension of the 3" pvc pipe next week to see if this helps.

: My questions are, Is there any type of turbine fan that would help if the extension does not? Also any suggestions? Any help greatly appreciated!

: Many thanks, Dick Givens
: 252-330-4920
The sulfur odors are hydrogen sulfide that are attaching to the atmospheric moisture and are travelling down to the sides of the house in humidity conditions.Even if you install a turbine fan, you will evacuate the odors from the septic system. A 5 month old house even in clay soil should not be emitting these foul odors from the septic system. First contact a LICENSED septic tank contractor for an evaluation to see if any repair is in order. Upon that recommendation, contact your real estate broker and ask for a warrantee inspection to ensure that the septic tank and disposal field was installed with the plumbing permit, and was actually inspected and signed off. With those matters in order, there is a chance that the clay soil is not percolating the water well enough and there is not adequate evapotranspiration for the odor to vent properly. The leach line evaporates some of its moisture upwards through the soil, the plumbing vent stack provides fresh air to the septic tank and leach line to allow bacteriological breakdown of the fecal matter, and the venting of the resultant hydrogen sulfide. You say upon returning from a week unoccupied the odor was severe, indicates that you have a drip in something like toilet or a sink continually feeding water to the septic system preventing it from adequately breathing.

You want more information? e-mail me at edcd@gte.net

Replies to this post
There are none.