(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Toto Flush Problem

  1. #1

    Default Toto Flush Problem

    I have a Toto and the flapper drops immediaetely after tripping the lever, and I mean immediately. The chain has the right amount of slack in it and is at the end of the long arm. It has the regular 3 inch flapper with the openings in it. I don't see anything else that could be adjusted. HELP!!!!!!

  2. #2
    DIY Member ho333ard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Um . . . that's how it's supposed to be, no?
    You hold the lever for a few seconds to empty the tank before releasing.

  3. #3
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    14,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default


    Looking inside the ST743S Toto Drake tank

    It's not a problem.
    If it were a 2" flapper, it would need to stay up longer to let the same amount of water out.

    Since it's a 3", it happens much quicker.
    Modern toilets don't use all of the water in the tank.
    The tanks hold more than 1.6 gallon though.
    Not matter how water the tanks hold, it's still designed to just release a small portion.
    By having more water in the tank, it raises the water level and that adds force to the flush.
    The flappers on these work just as you described.
    The "are" very quck.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-28-2006 at 09:21 AM.

  4. #4
    dc_homeplumber
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gholmes1936
    I have a Toto and the flapper drops immediaetely after tripping the lever, and I mean immediately. The chain has the right amount of slack in it and is at the end of the long arm. It has the regular 3 inch flapper with the openings in it. I don't see anything else that could be adjusted. HELP!!!!!!
    It should be allowing a gallon and a half of water through to adequately flush. When you say "immediately," it sounds as though the flapper drops too soon to allow even a gallon and a half to pass. I would replace the flapper. The flappers for G-Max and Power Gravity Toto toilets are available on this site and elsewhere. If this is not the problem, at least you won't be out a fortune.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ho333ard
    Um . . . that's how it's supposed to be, no?
    You hold the lever for a few seconds to empty the tank before releasing.
    Normally, like on my other toto toilet I trip the lever and let go and the flapper goes down slowly. At least slow enough so that the minimum amount of water flows. When I said that it goes down immedeately I meant in a split second the flapper goes down. There is still almo0st half of the water left in the tank. And it's only 1.5 gpf.

  6. #6
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    #1 does it flush right even though the flapper shuts fast?

    #2 Did this just start or has it always been like this.

    #3 Sounds like it could be a handle problem if the chain is adjusted right, not lifting the flapper quite high enough.

    Be sure the handle arm is not contacting the fill valve.
    Last edited by Cass; 03-24-2006 at 03:53 AM.

  7. #7
    DIY Senior Member SteveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Just to re-state what others have already said, in modern low-flow toilets, the 1.6 gal. figure doesn't mean the tank holds only 1.6 gal -- it means 1.6 gal. go from the tank into the bowl.

    The tanks are deliberately designed to hold more water than is actually "flushed" -- the water that stays in the tank serves to provide more "oomph" to that which DOES leave the tank by increasing the "head pressure" (I think it's called).

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass
    #1 does it flush right even though the flapper shuts fast?

    #2 Did this just start or has it always been like this.

    #3 Sounds like it could be a handle problem if the chain is adjusted right, not lifting the flapper quite high enough.

    Be sure the handle arm is not contacting the fill valve.

    To answer:
    #1. I don't believe it does as it stops up very easily. No evidence of water flowing from the front of the bowl at all! My other toto allows the flap to stay up just long enough so that the correct amount of water empties, as in a slight hesitation before the flapper actually closes.

    #2. It started awhile after the main valve (and flapper) were replaced by a licensed plumber.

    #3. Isn't the handle just a trip lever without any type of delay thing built in? Having watched it many times I can tell you that flapper rod lifts the flapper all the way to the tube.

    I don't understand "Be sure the handle arm is not contacting the fill valve."

    This tank is shorter than our other Toto. It isn't one of those 90's low flow toilet types but it is lower than the other which looks more like a regular toilet. Oh, yeah it is a one piece commode also.
    Last edited by gholmes1936; 03-27-2006 at 10:04 AM.

  9. #9
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    14,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default


    Looking inside the MS854114 or CST854 tank.
    The MS854114S has the red flapper.
    Did the tank parts look like this before the repair?

    Lowes sells the right fill valve and the flapper for the Toto Power-Gravity series.
    The Korky quietfill valve is $7.99 and the Korky Toto blue flapper is $9.87
    Last edited by Terry; 03-28-2006 at 09:23 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry

    Did the tank parts look like this before the repair?

    Lowes sells the right fill valve and the flapper for the Toto Power-Gravity series.
    The Korky quietfill valve is $7.99 and the Korky Toto blue flapper is $9.87
    As I remember they did look like those you pictured. I wondered if color was a key to the correct parts or not at the time. There is a number inside the tank, would/could that be the model number?

  11. #11
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    14,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    On the Toto, that would be the toilet number.

    It may be something like CST854, or CST764, something like that.
    The Blue flapper lets out more water than the red one.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    On the Toto, that would be the toilet number.

    It may be something like CST854, or CST764, something like that.
    The Blue flapper lets out more water than the red one.
    The model number in the tank is C854 and has a red flapper with a yellow valve assembly. Is this correct or what? I sure appreciate all your time and help Terry.

  13. #13
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    14,209
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default


    The Korky is the exact replacement fill valve.

    The 854 is either an Ultimate with blue flapper or the Ultramax with red flapper.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry

    The Korky is the exact replacement fill valve.

    The 854 is either an Ultimate with blue flapper or the Ultramax with red flapper.
    Thank you so much for all the info Terry. It would seem that since the flapper in the 854 tank is red, that maybe it needs a blue one? Since the blue one lets out more water. Where can I find out for sure. Possibly if I could find the original installation documents it would help a lot.

    Oh, my other Toto is an ST743S and has two different colors in it's insides.

  15. #15

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by gholmes1936
    Thank you so much for all the info Terry. It would seem that since the flapper in the 854 tank is red, that maybe it needs a blue one? Since the blue one lets out more water. Where can I find out for sure. Possibly if I could find the original installation documents it would help a lot.

    Oh, my other Toto is an ST743S and has two different colors in it's insides.

    I purchased the blue KORKY flapper at Lowes and installed it and so far everything is right with the world. Thank you so very much Terry.
    George in Austin, Texas

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •