Zone valve about to die?

Users who are viewing this thread

jhqpzjg

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Have a compact boiler with two zones...one to heat the condo via baseboard registers and the other to heat the domestic water in a side arm water heater. No hot water at the taps. First I ran the thermostat up to kick on the baseboard heat. Boiler came on fine, and the zone valve for the baseboard registers opened. Boiler inlet and outlet pipes to water heater were room temp. Thermostat on water heater set to mid range, but water at taps was cold. I noticed that the zone valve actuator for the water heater (Z-one Z111000 by Caleffi) was quite hot to the touch, but the pipe and valve it was connected to were not hot at all. I unplugged the water heater thermostat wire from the water heater to see if it was connected correctly. Everything looked ok. When I plugged it back in, the zone valve for the water heater opened. Boiler inlet and outlet pipes to water heater began to get hot to the touch. I unplugged and replugged the water heater thermostat wire at the water heater several times and each time the zone valve for the water heater opened as expected. I did notice though that the small lever/indicator sticking out of the bottom valve did not move smoothly from one side to the other, to indicate the physical opening of the valve. It would move, then pause slightly, then move a little, then pause again, before finally moving all the way across. After a while, the tap water was hot again. The Triangle Tube water heater is less than 5 years old, as is the zone valve actuator, which was replaced at the same time as the water heater. Which component is most suspect? The zone valve actuator because it was hot to the touch when it shouldn't be? That is what I am leaning toward, but I'm certainly not a professional and could use additional input.

Thanks,

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks