Zoeller M264 stopped pumping

Users who are viewing this thread

Linc

Reaction score
I have a 3 1/2 year old Zoeller M264 pump that stopped pumping. I installed this pump myself on advice from this forum and has worked well until now.

It is only pumping laundry water and AC condensate at this time. Any advice on if this is repairable? I have reached in the pit and can click the float switch up and down and do hear the pump humming like it's trying to pump. I'll be removing the pump tonight to inspect.

Thanks for any thoughts or guidance.

-Linc

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are not using lint traps the impeller shaft is probably bound up. If you can get all the lint, hair, and threads out it, it may be salvageable.

Linc

Reaction score
If you are not using lint traps the impeller shaft is probably bound up. If you can get all the lint, hair, and threads out it, it may be salvageable.

Thanks for the reply. I have the thing out now. The impeller? turns freely by hand and I don't see any gunk binding it up from below. Anybody ever take one of these apart? I'm wondering if there is something internal that is blocking something above the impeller? I'm searching for a service manual on this now.

Thanks again.
Linc

Linc

Reaction score
So, I started taking the thing apart to attempt repair. I first remove the lower screws (circled in red) to see if there was anything there. There was no blockage or really anything to see here at all, just the lower shroud/housing. Next I removed the screws highlighted in Blue. This may have been a mistake. This held on the upper housing which was oil-filled and had all the internal motor windings and electrical. I'm not sure it something is bad here, nor do I know how to test.

The next (last?) thing to remove is the very top, which I believe is the float switch electrical. From what I learned taking the Blue screws out, it looks like this may be oil-filled as well. If I do get in there (the screws are very tight) I won't know how to test those components either.

Again, if anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be greatly appreciative.

-Linc

Attachments

• Pump Take apart.jpg
    Pump Take apart.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 897

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
did you take the switch cover off the top and check the contacts in there? Cause that's probably where you will find the problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the motor hummed when you operated the switch, then the switch and circuitry is okay. Either the impeller is jammed or the motor is bad. Once you unsealed the motor, you probably made sure that you will have to replace the pump. You will never get the motor resealed and full of oil by yourself. You should have plugged the pump in, activated the switch, and then "flipped" the impeller to see if the pump started. If it did, then the starting circuit is bad and probably NOT field serviceable. In fact the repairs would probably cost more than the pump is worth, and you would only have a minimal guaranty on the repairs. Buy a new pump and get the full warranty.

Linc

Reaction score
If the motor hummed when you operated the switch, then the switch and circuitry is okay. Either the impeller is jammed or the motor is bad. Once you unsealed the motor, you probably made sure that you will have to replace the pump. You will never get the motor resealed and full of oil by yourself. You should have plugged the pump in, activated the switch, and then "flipped" the impeller to see if the pump started. If it did, then the starting circuit is bad and probably NOT field serviceable. In fact the repairs would probably cost more than the pump is worth, and you would only have a minimal guaranty on the repairs. Buy a new pump and get the full warranty.

Thank you for the reply. That's what I figured, though it would have been nice to pinpoint the cause. At this point I am looking to replace the pump. Since this is really only acting as a sump pump, can anyone recommend a good pump to go with?

Thanks again all.

-Linc

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little late with this but the first thing I would have checked is the supplied voltage while the pump motor tried to start.
Since the motor did hum when the switch was activated it kind of rules everything out except low voltage which can cause a motor not to start and a bad motor.
Even if you have a bad pump I'd still say Zoeller is a good choice.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the impeller turned freely the next thing I would have recommended (as Peter said) is the switch contacts. Bad contacts have high resistance which may cause low voltage to the motor windings. Just because it hums does not mean the switch is o.k.

I don't have much hope for it now that you've lost the oil fill You could always call Zoeller and see if they are willing to help, but after shipping expenses and lost time I'd just buy another pump.

Linc

Reaction score
If the impeller turned freely the next thing I would have recommended (as Peter said) is the switch contacts. Bad contacts have high resistance which may cause low voltage to the motor windings. Just because it hums does not mean the switch is o.k.

I don't have much hope for it now that you've lost the oil fill You could always call Zoeller and see if they are willing to help, but after shipping expenses and lost time I'd just buy another pump.

Thanks. Think I'm going to go with a Hydromatic DA1 with piggyback switch for the replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks