Zinsser primer better than Kilz...?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Mike50, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Southern California
    That's what I'm hearing- the painting pros prefer to use. And I never looked into any further because it's around 24 dollars a gallon at big box.

So buying in quantity and at that price it should dance and make me a sandwich.:D

However my local hardware promotes it and it's same price as Kilz--therefore I'm interested in trying it....at that price.

Anyone used it...or both?

I'm a smoker that hates smokey rooms so I want the best to get rid of any residual odors.

Especially since I got rid of almost all the carpeting now and replaced with tile and Laminate.

2. zimmee66

zimmee66 New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Zinnsser v. kilz

Howdy mike

Zinnsser is *definately* in a different class from Kilz. Yes--It is more expensive, but applies better and covers better (more pigement per gallon), so on a big job its often cheaper to use Zinnsser.

The make a big line of products, I usually use bullseye ("oil") odorless on smoky rooms...peel stop kicks butt too.

If you find ot at the same price as kilz, stock up!

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Southern California

Well alrighty then. I'm going to try it out soon. Why "oil"?
    Aren't we trying to only use that when needed?