Yet another toilet flange question...

Users who are viewing this thread

jim24

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Glad I found this forum!

I'm doing a to the studs tear-out on my bathroom and the toilet flange is...well...weird...it looks like someone drilled a hole through it and either tapped it or ran a screw up the underside...I dunno...It was attached to the subfloor (2x10 tongue in groove), not the plywood underlayment. New floor will be ply+ditra+tile, so I need to get the flange up about an inch...

So the question of the day is how do I get that off of there? The pipe is 3" ABS, so an inside-mounting flange appears to be out.

Options I've considered:
1: Use a dremmel from the inside and cut just below the current flange. This only leaves about 2 1/2" of exposed pipe. Is that enough to mount a connector to attach a new length of pipe to? (seems like the easiest route if that's enough pipe exposed...)

2: use a chisel or dremmel to cut the flange off and try to strip the existing flange from the outside of the vertical pipe. (possible, but seems problematic)

Something I'm missing here? Whatcha think?

flange1.jpgflange2.jpg
Thanks!!

Jim

jim24

Reaction score
So I used the Dremel to cut the flange out from the inside...

The thing I realized is that I won't have enough height to use a coupling and then have the flange on top of it.

I have three inch drain pipe. Do you think it would be ok to use a 3"-4" adapter, put a small piece of 4" pipe and then use an inside 4" flange?

Thanks!

Jim

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you want to avoid using a regular outside fit flange and a repair coupling as they will not fit as closely as you need.
A 3-inch street flange (one that is fits into a 3-inch hub and is the same O/D as the 3-inch pipe) in a 3-inch repair coupling will give you an extra-tall outside-fit flange. Maybe that will be enough for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks