Yet another Stuck Diverter thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

JThiessen

Reaction score
Have a 5 year old Moen Roman tub Two handle set up with a diverter for the handheld. Diverter stuck about half open a week ago. Ordered the divertr hardware kit (101952) kit from Moen, and today after removing everything using the tool, and channel locks (sorry - dont know the name of the three parts I removed), the diverter stem still will not pull out or push in. I've removed all the old parts that came in the kit - so from what I can tell, the diverter rod should pull out.
Am I missing something? I'm thinking about trying to thread a bolt into the diverter rad so i can get a crow bar on in to try - but a bit nervous about that.

JThiessen

Reaction score
IMG_3691.jpg

More to the story now. Went in and tried to turn the stem with the channel locks - didnt appear to to anything. Didnt give it too much effort - didnt want to damage the stem.
Stuffed some paper towels down into it to suck up the water so I could see down in there, and in the process, bumpd it to the side and it seemed to be loose finally - grabbed ahold of in and it came right out - less the spring and rubber......damn.
Spent a little quality time and finally fished out the spring, the rubber, and a brass washer.
Now, the question is, did I get it all? I highly doubt it - must be a threaded end and nut that should have been on the end of the rod right?
In the next photo - you can see it alllllllll the way down there, stuck somehow into something.....
Am I screwed here???? Whole new valve unit?
IMG_3692.jpg

JThiessen

Reaction score
Its definitley broken off - the rod has no threads on it any longer. I'm guessing that the long hex nut jammed in something.

JThiessen

Reaction score
In looking at one of the images posted above, it almost looks as though if I remove the shower hose from the valves, I might be able to put a punch up the bottom and possibly tap it out.
But, even if I can get it out, still dont know what caused it to jam down there.
I thought about the drill/screw extractor. I'll wait on that until I know if I cant get it out with any other means as its destructive and somewhat of a commitment.

JThiessen

Reaction score
I'm going to - started cutting out the grout around the tiles on the face of the tub surround. I dont recall exactly how I configured the front panel - but its becoming apparent that I used really good grout and mastik for the tiles! I've decided to just create an access panel from the adjacent bathroom wall - about the same distance, but just wont be able to see the top when installing stuff - but much easier to get into. Trying to find a replacement center "valve" now - want to have all the parts on had to get it done.

JThiessen

Reaction score
Finally got around to opening up the wall to get at the system. Looking at the attached picture, you can see that in fact I can not push the screw out from the bottom. Looks to be a chamber of some sort up there that is in the way.
I have a replacement valve set on the way (same solder in system). However, I think I made a mistake with my access to repair this stuff. I have far too many deck support 2x4's in the way, and there is no way I can solder this stuff back in place. Do the PEX connectors require that you solder on a certain end fitting? I've never used them, so am at a bit of a loss on their usage. I can forsee cutting the supply lines off below the floor level so I can get access to solder fittings on, then routing the tubes up through the floor to connect to the new valves.
IMG_3713.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks