yet another flange question - 3/4" gap

Users who are viewing this thread

dan19936

Architect
Reaction score
Yet another setting toilet / flange question, I did search the boards but didn't see this much gap covered:

ABS 4x3 closet flange is already solvent welded to pipe & screwed to wood subfloor. Installed mortar bed & tile around flange, resulting in finish floor 3/4" higher than top of ABS flange. After reading board realized I should have gone over tile, but now I'd have to cut pipe, shim & reattach.

Toilet is Western Wentworth 1152 / 1-piece low-boy, given as gift.
Home - Western pottery

Questions:
1. Any bad comments on toilet?
2. From the boards, it seems I can set the toilet with an extra thick wax ring or two rings doubled up. The plastic funnel seems to be discouraged. I've also seen mixed comments about doubling the wax rings. Am I in trouble by trying to make up this distance and should I go to the effort of resetting & shimming the flange?

Thanks,

Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
3/4" is quite a bit to go.

they do make flange extenders that stack up.

Or the fluidmaster waxless seal is good too.

The toilet should be fine.
fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks