Yet Another 3 Handle Tub/Shower Diverter Question

Users who are viewing this thread

monty

Reaction score
I have a problem with my current rental (not my dime to fix, but need to get it working better). We are hoping the entire tub and shower gets replaced soon. I also think it is slowly leaking in the back causing other trouble.

This is a Price Pfister I Think - based on the tub spout?

Below are some nice pictures to help ID:

The diverter was failing, and upon removal it had the red washer gasket broken and jammed inside creating some problems. I would like to replace the diverter, the handles, the spout if they are not too expensive - haven't found a online site to get this exact replacement - any links or help would be appreciated.

Also is the red washer from the diverter - is it needed (not in there now obviously)? I have it re-assembled now and it works pretty good! I think there is a bit of dripping going on which would be nice to stop. Also the hot and cold handles have to be turned really tight to stop dripping - the washers were just replaced and the seats seem ok...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes...price pfister contempra. Probably THE most widely used stem ever, in CA. You can find replacement parts in Walmart! Ace, HD, etc. I would not mess around trying to buy this stuff on line. Take the stem with you, as there are 3 different lengths of pp shower stem. Be sure to get a seat wrench, and replace all the seats.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The spout would be a poor item to determine the make and model. The stems are what is important for identification purposes. IF I were repairing the faucet, I would charge you about $130.00, plus labor, and convert it to a "lifetime" washerless unit. Home Depot often has a package with new handles, escutcheons, and stems, then you can use any spout they have in stock.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Will look at the lifetime options as well.

You are NOT a plumber and may not find many people who can tell you how to do it without destroying your faucet body in the process, which would require that you replace the entire valve. Just replace the existing parts if you are going to DIY it.

monty

Reaction score
Purchased a Price Pfister Replacement at Lowes Sunday - part fit perfectly - works much better than before!

Thanks for the help everyone. Once again this forum is great for DIY and helping the clueless...

I told the property owner he should look into replacing the 3 valves with modern single valve unit with a remodel plate - he is looking at doing that, probably after we move out in a few months.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks