Yellow Water after Regen Cycle

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by gusgt18, Jun 7, 2011.

1. gusgt18

gusgt18 New Member

Hi,

I have been having some issue with my water softener. Occasionally after the regeneration cycle the water coming out of the softener is yellow. After running the water for a while it will clear up. Any ideas on what could be causing this? and why does it only happen occasionally?

I think the softener is about 7 years old. It is a fleck 2510 48K grain model. Our water is 19gr hardness with 1.6 ppm iron. I can look up more details on the softener if needed.

Thanks,

Gus
  2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

What are the times with in the cleaning cycle?
    Sounds like some of the times need to be increased.
  3. gusgt18

gusgt18 New Member

Times are as follows

Backwash: 16 minutes
    Brine & Slow Rinse: 60 minutes
    Rapid Rinse: 8 minutes
    Brine Tank Refill: 12 Minutes
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Times are about right, could take and add one or two pins to the backwash.
    Rapid rinse could go to 10 or 12 minutes with one or two more pins.
    What is the meter set for in gallons?
    There should be a white dot lined up with a number between 0-21 each number is X100
    How many people are in the home?
    if there are 2 right now that is 1500 gallons or about every 14 days and that most likely is a bit much for the 2ppm of iron that is in the water.
  5. gusgt18

gusgt18 New Member

I can add more pins to the backwash and rapid rinse and see how it goes.

When it finishes its cycle the meter reads 13. Two people in the home.
  6. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Change the meter to 1000 gallons or 10 and cut down on the salt to 3 spaces.
  7. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Are you sure you want to reduce the fill time that much? Seems to me the dose would be too little. Also, he may want to verify the fill rate. Could be a 1/4 gpm brine flow control.
  8. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Most 2510 come with the .5gpm on the brine refill while the 5600 is a 50/50 on the .25 or the .50 on the brine refill.
    Either way the gallons are a bit high for just 2 people and the 2ppm of iron... 14 days between regens?
  9. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Adjust the refill time to = 23 lbs of salt and mix 1/3 cup of Iron Out or Super IO in two gallons of warm water, pour that into the water in the salt tank and then do a manual regeneration. Then repeat that with no water use during or between the 2 manual regenerations. Then change the refill time back to what you need for a meter setting of 1000 gals based on the correct K of capacity and lbs of salt required to produce it (see below).

That regenerates all of the resin and cleans any iron off the resin beads. As to your sometimes you get yellow water after a regeneration problem. Make sure you, an RO or toilet flush etc. aren't using water during regeneration. And add a 1/4 cup of IO to a gallon of water once a month and do the manual regeneration on your way to bed and you shouldn't have iron build up anymore.

Program your K of capacity and salt dose with the instructions at the link in my signature.