XH cast iron properties

Users who are viewing this thread

Smith333

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to remove some XH cast iron for my septic line and am wondering a couple of things as I prepare to make it as easy as possible:

1. How much does a 10 ft piece of 4" XH weigh?

2. How easy is it to disassemble a 35 year old 4" hub/spigot connection that uses a rubber donut when the other end of the pipe is free to move? Can it just be wiggled apart or does the donut usually have to be forced out with tools?

Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Answer to question # 1 A lot :D

Question 2, it may come apart real easy, it may be a bear. Can you break the hub off with a sledge? or do you want to save the pipe?

Smith333

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should be more clear; I'm trying to decide if I will be able to lift a 5 ft piece myself or if I should plan to cut them into 2.5 ft pieces. I'll keep the sledge handy, some of the pieces are rotted and all of it is getting replaced with pvc.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
TG, you are a veritable store house of information. when are you going on Jeopardy? :D

Hey, then, in that case smash the pipe up into manageable pieces and bobs your uncle

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have some 4" std weight cast iron exposed in the house I'm working on and it does say 45lbs right on the hub. It is a 5' long straight vertical section. I wondered if that meant 45lbs/foot. I cut out a short tee that had a 1-1/2" inlet in the side and a cleanout plug at one end. It was maybe a foot long and weighed at least 25lbs.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks