XH cast iron properties

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Smith333, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Smith333

Smith333 Member

I'm getting ready to remove some XH cast iron for my septic line and am wondering a couple of things as I prepare to make it as easy as possible:

1. How much does a 10 ft piece of 4" XH weigh?

2. How easy is it to disassemble a 35 year old 4" hub/spigot connection that uses a rubber donut when the other end of the pipe is free to move? Can it just be wiggled apart or does the donut usually have to be forced out with tools?

Any insight is appreciated.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Answer to question # 1 A lot :D

Question 2, it may come apart real easy, it may be a bear. Can you break the hub off with a sledge? or do you want to save the pipe?
  3. Smith333

Smith333 Member

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should be more clear; I'm trying to decide if I will be able to lift a 5 ft piece myself or if I should plan to cut them into 2.5 ft pieces. I'll keep the sledge handy, some of the pieces are rotted and all of it is getting replaced with pvc.
  4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Iron weighs ~500# per cubic foot.
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

TG, you are a veritable store house of information. when are you going on Jeopardy? :D

Hey, then, in that case smash the pipe up into manageable pieces and bobs your uncle
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Xh

The weight is cast into the pipe just below the hub. A 4" x 5' single hub weighed 65 pounds if my memory is correct.
  7. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

I have some 4" std weight cast iron exposed in the house I'm working on and it does say 45lbs right on the hub. It is a 5' long straight vertical section. I wondered if that meant 45lbs/foot. I cut out a short tee that had a 1-1/2" inlet in the side and a cleanout plug at one end. It was maybe a foot long and weighed at least 25lbs.....
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

weight

The weight on the pipe is the total weigh for that piece.