X10 switch

Users who are viewing this thread

lorrainedv

Reaction score
I have 2 X10 switches. 1 controls a driveway light and 1 controls 2 exterior lights on my recently purchased house. I would like to go back to just having a regular on - off switch for each. Both switches have 1 blue & 1 black wire. On 1 switch the blue is connected to 1 black wire. The black is connected to 2 black and 1 red wire and there are 3 white wires that are capped together. On the other the blue is connected to 2 black wires. The black is connected to 1 black wire and the 3 white wires are capped together. What on - off switches would I need and how would I wire them ? Thank You

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Regardless of the quantity of leads tied together in the box, if the switch itself only has two wires or screws on it where connections are made, you can replace it with a standard on/off wall switch. Tieing all of the white (neutral) leads together is fairly common as you switch the hot lead (normally black or red for switched). tying blacks together just means it is feeding multiple places. All a 'normal' switch does is connect two leads together, and break the connection when off. So, if there are only two leads, connect them one to each screw of a new switch, doesn't matter which one goes where.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What on - off switches would I need and how would I wire them ?

You need two single pole switches. They will each have two terminals on the side.

Switch #1

On 1 switch the blue is connected to 1 black wire.

Install this on one terminal of your new switch.

The black is connected to 2 black and 1 red wire

Install a short pigtail on the 2 black and 1 red wire. Attach this to the other terminal of your new switch

and there are 3 white wires that are capped together.

N/A. Leave them alone.

Switch #2

On the other the blue is connected to 2 black wires.

Install a short pigtail on the 2 blacks. Attach this to one terminal of your new switch

The black is connected to 1 black wire

Install this on the other terminal of your new switch.

and the 3 white wires are capped together.

N/A. Leave then alone

Last edited by a moderator:

lorrainedv

Reaction score
Very grateful for your help. Not questioning your knowledge, just excited that it worked. Thanks again!

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It was supposed to be a joke.

I am so misunderstood :(

.............or maybe I'm just not funny.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks