X10 switch

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by lorrainedv, Dec 8, 2009.

1. lorrainedv

lorrainedv New Member

I have 2 X10 switches. 1 controls a driveway light and 1 controls 2 exterior lights on my recently purchased house. I would like to go back to just having a regular on - off switch for each. Both switches have 1 blue & 1 black wire. On 1 switch the blue is connected to 1 black wire. The black is connected to 2 black and 1 red wire and there are 3 white wires that are capped together. On the other the blue is connected to 2 black wires. The black is connected to 1 black wire and the 3 white wires are capped together. What on - off switches would I need and how would I wire them ? Thank You
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Regardless of the quantity of leads tied together in the box, if the switch itself only has two wires or screws on it where connections are made, you can replace it with a standard on/off wall switch. Tieing all of the white (neutral) leads together is fairly common as you switch the hot lead (normally black or red for switched). tying blacks together just means it is feeding multiple places. All a 'normal' switch does is connect two leads together, and break the connection when off. So, if there are only two leads, connect them one to each screw of a new switch, doesn't matter which one goes where.
  3. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

You need two single pole switches. They will each have two terminals on the side.

Switch #1

Install this on one terminal of your new switch.

Install a short pigtail on the 2 black and 1 red wire. Attach this to the other terminal of your new switch

N/A. Leave them alone.

Switch #2

Install a short pigtail on the 2 blacks. Attach this to one terminal of your new switch

Install this on the other terminal of your new switch.

N/A. Leave then alone
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  4. lorrainedv

lorrainedv New Member

Thanks a whole lot. It works.
  5. Alectrician

WTF?

I was just making stuff up.
  6. lorrainedv

lorrainedv New Member

Very grateful for your help. Not questioning your knowledge, just excited that it worked. Thanks again!
  7. Alectrician

It was supposed to be a joke.

I am so misunderstood :(

.............or maybe I'm just not funny.
  8. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

Yeah, I got it. The only joke was that you forgot to tell him to turn off power first.;)