Wow, I am confused. Can you figure this one out?

Users who are viewing this thread

mranger1996

Reaction score
Ok Guys,

Can you figure this one out? I moved into a house last fall and am having a issue with the water supply.My components are:
Goulds: 115v 1/2 hp submersible pump. Installed in 2003 100ft deep well
Amtrol 202 Pressure tank: approx installed in 2003
New 30/50 square d pressure switch in fall 2012
Kentico softener Mach system and carbon filter to remove chlorine put into water from a wellpro chlorination on the wellhead.

Ok. Problem
1. My pressure is not the best. So I installed a 40/60 pressure switch and it is better but then 8 times since past fall I will wake up to hear my pump running constant and it seems to not get past 55 psi on the gauge. I unplug the pump (115) wait 20 seconds and plug it back in and the gauge and pressure tank fill up no problem to 60 psi and its good for another couple days or weeks. My pressure tank is at 38 psi that I set when at 0 psi on the system. What is going on here?
Some might say pump is not strong enough. But why then when I unplug and plug back in the pump does it act great for another couple days or weeks.

So now I lowered back down my pressure switch to 30/50 and adjusted my pressure tank to 28. I will watch and see if the pump acts up again. But in the meantime, I am back into low pressure in the house.

Could the kentico carbon filter need repacked and that is why my pressure is so bad. But that doesn't explain the pump constant running.
Also I can feel every time the well pump kicks on and off in the shower with a very minor "interruption or pulse" in water supply. Why is this?

Any thoughts?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Also I can feel every time the well pump kicks on and off in the shower with a very minor "interruption or pulse" in water supply. Why is this?

Any thoughts?
You probably have too much air in the bladder and the tank is running out of water just as it is coming on. Your air and water gauges are probably reading different. Let a couple of PSI out of the bladder and that will stop.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the water level pulls down to deeper than 86', that pump cannot build to 60 for shut off. If you want more pressure you probably need to switch to a 1 HP, 10 GPM pump.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Valveman is on to something....probably pulling the well down and the pump either can't build to 60 or draws air and gets airlocked until you shut if off........as far as happening every few days.....maybe when the Kinetico backwashes, it draws the well down...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks