would you consider this hack work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I wanted to use the shelf in my new vanity, and figured this would be the best way to do it without it being super low in the cabinet.

trap.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Two holes or a single "oval" are about the only two ways it can be done, without moving the shelf. If you put the shelf higher, between the water and drain lines, you would only have needed one hole for the drain pipe.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the wall is open behind, I sometimes raise the drain in the wall. This works if the waste and vent are vertical. But then you need to patch the wall to make "that" looks nice.
I've done that with cabinets that have a slid out drawer on the low side.
I thing it's time to start filling that shelf.

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

hj, I thought about moving the shelf higher in the cabinet, but then i would have to drill 4 holes at exactly the same height into the vanity.. its on it's highest setting.

Terry.. I guess I should have thought about that before I wall papered! There was a pedestal sink here before, which looked ok, but was horrible because of no storage.

Once I put this in, we realized it was pretty big compared to the old sink, and I had to shift it a few inches in order for your knee to not hit it. So now.. the light fixture above the vanity is not centered any more. Once again.. something I should have thought about before I wall papered.. I went through the light fixture isle of HD today in search of some sort of magic back plate for the light fixture. But no luck.. I'm wondering if an electrical supply house would have such an animal.. or if its buy another roll of wall paper and try to patch it in the best i can..

My fiancee has all the fun designing, and I get to work :-/

Oh well.. I guess in the next house, I'll have a lot more experiance.. and hopefully a lot more money so I can pay someone else to do it. :)

Reaction score
Hey you guys like picturs right?

Just a bit of minor clean-up required. The old grimy rental bathroom is gone!!!

I have to give a shoutout to the folks at the John Bridge Tile Forum.. I'm really proud of this floor.. and.. omg.. these tiles are so hard to drill through for the flange screws.. burned up 3 bits!!

I rebuilt the crappy mancessa toilet.. as funds allow we will replace with a better one. The new flange is in there nice and good, so that should only be an hour or so project.

Still have to figure out how to move that light fixture over...

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.1.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; but then i would have to drill 4 holes at exactly the same height into the vanity.. its on it's highest setting.

That is why they invented rulers, but for this you could use dividers. All you have to do is measure the same distance above the highest holes and make new holes there. I am amused by the idea of using the toilet fill valve as a "cap", but didn't you have to figure out some way to "shut it off" because without a float ball it would always be "open". Your only option for the light may be to get one with a light bar and make a new opening for the outlet box so you can shift it off center from the box.

Another quote; My fiancee has all the fun designing, and I get to work :

Between the "designing" and "doing" stages, there should be a "let's lay this out and see what has to be done to make it work and look good". That is when you discover the cabinet is too big and everything has to be moved sideways to make it look good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hahah, I knew u guys would rag on me for the fill valve !! :) if u see, there's a stubby screwdriver jammed in it!

Don't worry, by the end of the project, all three were replaced with new quarter turns.

The main water shutoff is under my house in the crawlspace and its quite a project to get to it. It was dripping the last time I moved it. I tightened the packing nut and it stopped for now, but I think that valve is almost toast

Suceress

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, have you thought of using something like an oval ceiling medalion around your current light fixture, but adhering it to the wall to cover up the hole? Maybe something oval shaped that would sort of match the mirror?

I'm not sure how that would work since I can't actually see how that light fixture attaches to the wall. Do you have a picture? Perhaps you could even take a piece of wood and router the edges a bit and paint it white and nail & glue it to the wall?

I like your wallpaper-- and I usually don't like wallpaper. Since you have that sort of curved leafy pattern, something like this with the middle drilled in the shape of the light fixture surface?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CVAlg9ckpVY/S31MDrlnKII/AAAAAAAAEH0/XTSdzGAX2W8/s400/whtorigorn.JPG (sorry I can't get it to insert images right now-- browser is not cooperating).

Or something like this (although the red on this is not good and I don't know if the gold would clash with the polished chrome look)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CVAlg9ckpVY/S31MCGjZ-nI/AAAAAAAAEHs/_suT48iyn6k/s400/finished+medalion.JPG

You may want to go with something that is just simple but that matches the shapes in the room.
At first I was just thinking of a face plate or wall plate that they put on the wall when a wall switch is removed, but those can look kind of ugly. If you don't want to ruin the symmetry and look, the ceiling medallion or some sort of escutcheon might work. Run it buy your fiance and see what she likes. :)

I believe searching Lowes for blank "wall plate" (quotes only around wall plate) turns up some options if you just want to cover the hole.

I forgot to ask, did you do anything to the edges of the holes you cut in the shelf to seal them so they weren't so rough and also to prevent moisture from getting in if there should be any leaks? I know it probably isn't a big deal or anything, but I would want to seal it somehow and also get rid of rough edges so it doesn't catch on anything. But that's just me, and I am a newb with stuff like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I think the ceiling fan medallion might be what we will end up with. She still hasn't made up her mind. Here is one I was considering.

photo.jpg

I didn't seal the edges of the shelf. It was late at night and I just wanted to get it done. I just blasted a hole saw through the shelf (particle board). I probably should have taped both sides and maybe even used a jig saw with a find tooth blade. Honestly.. the cabinet and sink combo was iirc a $99 black Friday home depot special.. and this isn't our forever house, so it would probably be ripped out and renovated before it reached it's lifespan.

Suceress

Reaction score
I think the ceiling fan medallion might be what we will end up with. She still hasn't made up her mind. Here is one I was considering.

View attachment 19478

I didn't seal the edges of the shelf. It was late at night and I just wanted to get it done. I just blasted a hole saw through the shelf (particle board). I probably should have taped both sides and maybe even used a jig saw with a find tooth blade. Honestly.. the cabinet and sink combo was iirc a $99 black Friday home depot special.. and this isn't our forever house, so it would probably be ripped out and renovated before it reached it's lifespan.

Ahh. Ok. :) Well, it still looked good and should function well. :)

That one looks nice! Judging from the height of the current light fixture, I think it might be too large-- unless you move the mirror down or the light up. I could be wrong though.

I hope you find something inexpensive that your fiance likes. I'd love to see pictures of whatever you get.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks