Would this cable run down face of beam to wall (under beam)be up to code (Wisc)?

Users who are viewing this thread

snokel

Reaction score
I have a wall framed under a glulam beam and in order to get wire to the outlet box I ran wire from breaker panel through floor joists and then down
the unfinished side and into the wall.
So it runs from the first floor joists down the unfinshied face of the beam in the unfinished utility area and is of course stapled.
The Wisc code says it must be protected where it may be subjected to damage and I really didn't think 7 feet above the floor on the unfinished side of the beam is subject to damage.

IMG_20140519_200543.jpg

Reaction score
This is NM, yes?

You have no problem.

If it ever enters your head to finish this side of the wall:

Cover the gluelam with 1/2" plywood, and leave a tight slot for the wire to run down in the plywood.

Use a mess of nailing plates to cover the wire.

Rip more 1/2" ply to fir out the studs.

Apply sheet rock or green board as required.

If you have no intention of closing the wall and you want to be utterly anal, apply 2" wide strips of 1/2" ply on either side of the cable and cover in nailing plates. No inspector would fault you for that.

snokel

Reaction score
Good news it all passed. The inspector said as long as I never finish the walls in the utility room I was good to go.

Reaction score
But,then, there is that thing called "accidental damage" which you cannot plan for.

Again, if one wanted to be compulsively anal about that, it is readily done:

Cut two runners of 1/2" ply 2" wide, and run them vertically left and right of the NM. Then bridge those with nailing plates top to bottom.

Actually, if I were doing it, I'd probably bore a hole down from the face of the glulam, oh about five inches from the bottom, at an angle, to have the wire exit in the middle of the wall cavity.

Then the wall can be finished at any time, assuming that everything is spaced out with 1/2" ply as I described.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks