Would There Be A Fire?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by molo, Dec 20, 2010.

  1. molo

    molo New Member

    Messages:
    840
    Location:
    cold new york
    My question is about an electric oven. The outlet is a 3-prong 220 outlet with a fuse (not a circuit breaker). The cord was missing on the stove. I accidentally grabbed a 10 ga. 30amp electric dryer cord (which wouldn't have plugged into the outlet). If it had been able to plug in would the fuse have prevented a fire or would the cord have started to smoke/burn?

    Thanks,
    Molo
  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Messages:
    8,997
    Location:
    San Diego
    That cord is designed to safely handle 30 amps. A stove may draw 40-ish amps, and might be fused for 40 or 50 amps. SO, the fuse does not protect the cord from being overloaded. In the scenario you describe, we do not jump right to "fire"...but the insulation might get too warm, could even melt, and eventually bad things could happen. The different PLUGS are "different" for this exact reason...so you can't plug into the wrong place!
  3. Alectrician

    Alectrician DIY Senior Member

    Messages:
    689

    A proper fuse would prevent an overload.

    In normal operating condirions, the #10 cord wouldn't even come close to overheating.


    That said, a fire can still happen, even with all the proper things in place. The right kind of short circuit, especially on a 50 amp breaker, can do some real damage before it trips.
Similar Threads: Fire
Forum Title Date
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog electronic ignition fireplace won't start when lights are on Mar 7, 2014
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Firewall Outlet Box Placement(s) Jul 14, 2011
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Force of Air Moved by Fireplace Blower Jan 20, 2011
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Electric Fireplace Question Aug 6, 2010
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Inetrconnecting FireEX smoke detectors Jul 22, 2009

Share This Page