Would one be able to smell sewer gas from a bad wax ring if the base is caulked?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Title says it all.
I think I smell sewer gas around my toilet. I installed it myself when I tiled the bathroom a few years ago using a wax ring. This was my first toilet removal/install so I may have messed up the wax.
However I caulked around the base completely, and the caulking is still good - so could sewer gas still escape somehow if the wax ring is messed up?

Reaction score
This was my first toilet removal/install so I may have messed up the wax.
Without visiting the site, I cannot determine the quality of your work, but I am going to go with your admitted fact you have no experience with this and must be re-done RIGHT.

The sewage can still permeate from under the subfloor.

Removing a toilet is no big deal, it is perhaps the easiest task to troubleshoot and can be done with certainty at the end.

I suggest you try UPC waxless products.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback.

I bough the Sani-Seal a few week ago and am planning to do this soon - just be safe.

Just wondering if I was imagining things (with the toilet base being caulked) and maybe just have a stinky bathroom, or if there is really a possibility of seal problem.

The toilet is on a concrete slab.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you caulked all the way around it and the floor is smooth, the only place any odor could escape might be at the bolt holes. I would get down there and sniff around. But before you do any sniffing, I reccomend you clean inside the toilet and clean the outside. Then scrub the floor all the way around the toilet. Clean any walls or cabinets in that area. Use a sponge or rag and rinse it often.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are going to pull the toilet anyway, you might want to put a level on it. You could add shims when you put the bowl back.

I think an advantage of the waxless solutions is they take less skill and practice than wax. Once you settle the bowl with wax, you don't want to raise it back up to insert some shims.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks