Would old supply line cause low pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
if a house is fed by 3/4 galv pipe that is quite old, probably corroded inside how would that affect the pressure at the entry? We are seeing relatively low pressure now wondering if we replaced the supply to the house from the street with new 1" Pex would we see an improvement in pressure?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1" Poly would be even better, though 1" PEX would be an improvement too.
Galvanized piping gets very rough and closes down in size. Replacing the pipe from the meter is always noticable in a big way.
Friction loss is most of the problem, and decreased pipe sizing.

DavidTu

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I am leaning toward 1" PEX just because it's easier to deal with. The Poly needs a Ford Fitting when it gets inside to transition to PEX, which is a bit of a hassle. With PEX you can just come right in without transitioning and I do like the PEX connections at the meter better because no straps to rust out.

Once inside, for a 3-3/4 bath home do you tend to run 1" or 1.25" for main trunk? PEX or copper?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks