Would appreciate professional critique before inspection time

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
I'm remodeling (adding a bathroom) my basement. Attached (hopefully) is the layout of the toilet drain I've installed prior to inspection and concreting. I would appreciate any constructive criticism if needed. I went from the main floor drain (3") with a sanitary Y - two 45's - a sanitary T for vent (3X3X2) that goes to the new wall - and ending with the toilet pipe. Oh yeah, the pipe is 13" from the new wall and 16" from anything on either side of the toilet. Other piping in the photo (hopefully I can get it attached) will be covered in my next post for critique... Thanks anyone....

Attachments

• Toilet drain and vent_1_1.jpg
    Toilet drain and vent_1_1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:

Plumguy

Reaction score
This description answers my question on your'e first post.Depending on what you did with those vents I think you are ready for an inspection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know how your inspector was, but most places require that the horizontal waste fittings are wyes and not tees.

If those tees laying on their backs were wyes, I would say good.

TheZster

Reaction score
Thanks Terry...

I took the photo you looked at to my inspector in his office ...... told him I was hoping to save him a trip to the job site just to look at that small portion of the plumbing............and he signed off on the work then and there. Hopefully there are no repercussions.... cause I've already poured the concrete back in...... Maybe he didn't notice the sanitary T vs. a Y .

Now if he doesn't get picky about my tub overflow/drain connecting to the P Trap with a ProFlex fitting............. poor alignment problem....

Keeping my fingers crossed....

Great web site by the way....

Plumguy

Reaction score
Like everything else it comes down to location. Here you can use a TY on it's back as long as you are picking up a dry vent only,however if room permits it is always good practice to install a wye.

Flexible connector on a tub connection! Only thing I can say is good luck and hope he doesn't have a flashlight. :eek:

TheZster

Reaction score
Okay, okay.... I get your drift.... Somehow I'm going to have to redo the alignment on the P-trap for the tub... Last thing I want is an inspector looking at me like I'm an idiot.... even if I am!!! On the other hand... if all those flexible connections/flexible ABS downpipes are illegal.... how come it's so easy to buy one?

Plumguy

Reaction score
I don't remember any mention of them being illegal. I have never installed one and would like to think most plumbers don't. They are just not good mechanical practice. A lot of things are sold at the big box stores that are illegal for a plumber to install. However, most DIYer's are not aware or care about codes.

TheZster

Reaction score
plumguy said:
I don't remember any mention of them being illegal. I have never installed one and would like to think most plumbers don't. They are just not good mechanical practice. A lot of things are sold at the big box stores that are illegal for a plumber to install. However, most DIYer's are not aware or care about codes.

Interesting..... well, this DIYer cares about codes - realizing they are there for a reason. Unfortunatly, being a "jack of all trades and Master of none", I don't know all the codes relating to a lot of specifics - which is why I find this web site to be invaluable. I appreciate all the assistance everyone has offered so far - making me "rest easier" at the end of the day.

As far as the subject P-trap.... I think I'll take a shot at my mechanical inspection "as is".... darned thing is beefed up more solid than that flimsy ABS alone..... if he doesn't like it.... well, it's behind a proposed access panel - and I can always remove/replace the tub before drywall.....

Thanks again... wish me luck!

Plumguy

Reaction score
Like I stated before, I think you will be fine. As far as my comment on DIY'ers who don't care, it certainly doesn't apply to those who use this site or other sites because they are making an effort to do it right (hope). Looking at your'e pic it is obvious that you are no stranger to the trades and take pride in what you do! In fact, It would put some (so-called) plumbers to shame. Good Luck!!

TheZster

Reaction score
Terry said:
I don't know how your inspector was, but most places require that the horizontal waste fittings are wyes and not tees.

If those tees laying on their backs were wyes, I would say good.

Looks like my photography skills are right up there with my plumbing skills..... "Adaquate but not perfect"... The horizontal waste fitting is a wye....

Thanks again guys for all your help.....

TheZster

Reaction score
Ooops.... As I reread it... I see you're correct.... Like I said - adaquate, but not perfect. Thank goodness the inspector signed off before I covered it with concrete......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks