Would a tailpiece be glued into waste line?

Users who are viewing this thread

snapdemon

Reaction score
I have found much information on this forum helping me with plumbing in my kitchen remodel, and have bought toilets based on recommendations here. I am currently working on installing a Toto pedestal sink in a powder room and progress has slowed due to a problem connecting the sink to the waste pipe. I do not have enough experience to know what I am dealing with. I purchased a lavatory ptrap and brought it home hoping to figure out what connection I need to make this work. Previous lavatory sinks I have worked with had a trap adapter that the1.25 inch tailpiece would just slide into and tighten down with a compression washer. This looks like it is a 1.5 inch tailpiece that is glued into whatever is in the wall???? there are no thumb tabs or ridges on the piece emerging from the wall so I am assuming I don't want to grab onto it with channel locks and try and loosen. Am I missing something obvious or is this a rigged setup? Attached is a pic of a new 1.25 ptrap stuck into the existing plumbing to show for scale of size.
WP_20141211_19_31_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20141211_19_41_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20141211_19_41_27_Pro.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pipe has a coating, which looks like a thick layer of paint so your photos are not too good. The rounded end on the piece sticking out of the wall LOOKS like it might be a threaded slip nut screwed on to a fitting in the wall. If so THAT is what you grab and rotate.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pipe has a coating, which looks like a thick layer of paint so your photos are not too good. The rounded end on the piece sticking out of the wall LOOKS like it might be a threaded slip nut screwed on to a fitting in the wall. If so THAT is what you grab and rotate.

That would make sense. That may be a section of 1.5" tubular coming from the wall, with a slip joint nut at the wall.

snapdemon

Reaction score
I was afraid if I cranked on this and it wasn't a slipjoint this job may turn this from a quick minor job into a major remodel for me. (drywall, painting, plumbing removal and patch in, etc). I opted for this piece which may or may not be the accepted way to do things. It is working fine for now and hopefully it gets me through the holidays. If it works it works I guess, but is this a hack job and something I should make a point of redoing in the future or is this an accepted way of connecting these pieces?

Attachments

• WP_20141212_10_49_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141212_10_49_16_Pro.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 313

snapdemon

Reaction score
Also wanted to thanks for all the discussions, reviews and recommendations of Toto toilets here on the forums. Have had the pictured toto toilet in for over a year with no problems, was very concerned with plugging and overflowing having the wood floors. Did have a scare once when my son made a mess and tried to dispose of the evidence which was the better part of a roll of the thick paper towels, but the toto cleared the mess with little effort on my part. Not a drip over the edge onto the floor. This project is replacing the old vanity with a matching cotton white Toto pedestal sink. The discussions that go on here on the boards must benefit tons of people even though I imagine most of the people who take advantage of this knowledge never even register with the site. I have been lurking on the site for over 2 years and finally registered. Thanks again for the informational message board Terry.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 297

snapdemon

Reaction score
Lucky for me it was a rare one. Everything tucked under there. Not much room to spare but it fit....

Attachments

• WP_20141214_08_00_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141214_08_00_48_Pro.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 294
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks