Would a stripped seat in a tub faucet cause a leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

a4andrew

Reaction score
Upon replacing the tub faucet (using a tub faucet rebuild kit - knobs, stems, etc), I stripped the hot water's seat. It came out, but upon putting it back in, it just keeps on turning, thus I conclude it is stripped. Would this cause leaking (warm water is coming out)? (It had held without leaking for about a month as when I put the seat back in, it was barely tight, but now it is very loose and now I have a lot of leaking without any other reason than that).

If it is stripped, am I left with having to replace the pipe fittings? Any other solution(s)? suggestions?
After double checking the seat, it looks a little stripped, but I can't be absolutely sure one way or another. I'll look for a replacement seat in the meantime.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can get a new seat installed you might get lucky.
The seat should be installed using pipe dope and needs to maintain a seal with the body of the faucet. If it's loose, water will get by it.

The do make remodel plates if you need to replace the entire faucet.

pp-faucet-seat.jpg

Last edited:

a4andrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'll try to replace the seat.

(Fortunately I have a back access panel, so a remodel plate shouldn't be necessary).

a4andrew

Reaction score
I tried replacing the seat and used a good amount of tape (instead of pipe dope) because it is thicker. The new one did fit snugger, but it also kept on spinning. When I turned the water back on, it did leak - pretty much just as much as when I had the old seat in there.
Does it sound like I have to replace the pipe fitting?

Last edited by a moderator:

a4andrew

Reaction score
So you think I need a new valve and not a pipe fitting (as the seat is stripped)?

BTW, I initially thought it was the diverter (hot and cold knobs on either side, with the diverter in the middle), but it's behavior is expected and consistent - meaning, the when the shower is turned on, all the water flows to the shower, when off, it will all flow to the spout. I have read that if it drips through the spout while the shower is on, it is a diverter problem - of which I had discovered and fixed myself - I adjusted the rubber washers to fix it. Could my present problem be a diverter problem somehow?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You may need to call a real plumber.

If you get lucky they will take it up in trade.

Good luck on your project.

a4andrew

Reaction score
a plumber quoted me $535 to replace the valve and install a 3 handle faucet set. I was floored. I can only say it encouraged me to test my hand at sweating copper pipes. Fortunately I have two good resources as well as youtube. I'll make sure I practice before going "live".

Besides that, since it was determined that the shower valve is needing to be replaced, I decided to superglue in the seat. Though it wasn't completely dry and I don't think it ever did, it has slowed the stream to a very tolerable drip. What I should have done when I set the superglue, was to let out all of the water so that no more dripping would have come out of that warm water pipe (open a valve from the lower part of the house). Ah well.... lesson learned. I may actually redo the superglue (epoxy is an option too), but I'll wait until it gets worse. But hopefully I'll be set to go with the solder before then.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would have chosen 5 minute epoxy over superglue.

The yellow teflon tape sold for gas use is OK for plumbing, and it is thicker. You could have used tape and pipe dope both.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks