Woodford tube removal????

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jeffs, Apr 27, 2008.

1. jeffs

jeffs New Member

Can I remove the tube from where the faucet is, I have no access from the inside or outside of my house. The water leaks from behind the siding when the faucet is on and water pressure is applied. It must have freezed, the stem and "front" seal are already out, now how to remove the tube??? I'm sure glad some of you guys and gals like these valves, as I'm 3 problems from only 3 valves. Any help would be great, thanks.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You have correctly diagnosed the problem. I'd bet money you left a hose attached to the faucet during the winter. A hose will prevent the water from drain out of the tube and the frozen water will split the tube. There is no repair possible, the whole thing must be replaced. It is attached to the supply line inside the house either with a threaded fitting or it may be soldered. In either case, you must get at it from inside...there is no other way. Do not even think about unscrewing it from the outside. If you do, you will almost certainly twist and ruin the supply line in the house. If it is threaded, to avoid twisting the supply line, you must use two wrenches inside. If it is a sweat joint, then you must unsolder and remove the split pipe. At that point, you can decide on either sweating a new faucet on or sweating an adapter so that you can use a screw in replacement faucet. If you do the latter, use two wrenches to install it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Like Gary said, you will have to cut the wall inside your home to get to where the connection is in order to replace it.