woodford model 12 washer replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by slim, Jun 11, 2014.

1. slim

slim New Member

Hello all.

I have a woodford model 12 outdoor faucet that is leaking. hoping it was just a washer fail I tried to remove the stem by removing the handle, packing nut, packing and packing washer.

The stem would not come out. it wasnt like it was just being stubborn, but like there was an obstruction.

I went to woodfords website and and found this page.

http://www.woodfordmfg.com/woodford/Wall_Faucet_PDF/ObsoleteProducts.pdf

Looking at the model 12 picture, it looks like there is a roll pin of some sort just past the packing washer.
    they sell the replacement parts including the stem so there must be a way of removing the stem but dang if I can figure out how.

Anybody here remember working on this old thing and have any knowledge they would like to share?

Replacement at this time isnt an option.

Great forum and resource.

Thanks in advance
    Slim
  2. quarterball

quarterball New Member

Theoretically, all the internal parts should come out with the stem. The Model 12 is pretty old, so there is a good chance the packing (p/n 30005) has been compressed over time to the point of almost being solid. Since you are getting all the replacement parts, I would try starting by picking apart the packing with some needle-nosed pliers. Once that is removed the rest of the stem assembly should be able to be removed.
  3. slim

slim New Member

Thanks for the quick reply,

as I stated. I removed the packing, packing nut and packing washer with no luck. the stem comes out only a fraction of an inch and then acts like something is hitting on the valve body.

In the pdf file at woodfords website I linked above. there appears to be a "roll pin" or something just past the packing washer in the valve body.

thanks again