Wood working power tools

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
For all my woodwork I use a handsaw and the occassional chisel.

But Christmas is coming soon and some carpentry power tools might be good for the list.

Any recommendations?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What do you want to do? You talking finish carpentry? Fine furniture? Big things like a bedroom set in hardwoods, or painted built-in shelves? Without knowing what you want to do, how much room you have, and some sort of a budget, it's a total WAG (wild a.. guess).

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I was supposed to get a tablesaw, bandsaw and a jointer last weekend for free. Checked out the stuff on Thursday and told the couple (neighbor's of the wife's grandparents) that I would pick them up on Sunday when I had a couple of strong backs to help.

Got there Sunday and their son found out and came and took the bandsaw and the jointer. I got the tablesaw but I already have one, I was pissed but of course didn't let them know.

I'm still pissed about that.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks to all the replies so far.

I am being serious.

I am remodeling my basement so want to be able to cut pieces of wood for flooring, stairs (prbbaly pre-made but will need trimming), window trim etc. Simple sawing stuff.

So, what sort of small table saw would be good? Are jigsaws useful? Any other stuff? All the essentials a basic DIYer should have, not a wood shop pro.

I really do not know what is available out there.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
For floors I would say you should get:
1. miter chop saw, one that slides is better. ($200-400, mine was ~$200, miters one way)
2. 10" table saw for ripping long peices. ($150-350)
3. jig saw (for cutting around door jams and such. ($60-150)

I've got all these if you feel like taking a trip south Ian. :D I got my stuff for putting down wood floors.
I'm assuming you're doing engineered wood as opposed to laminate. I have laminate - I wish I would've dropped the extra coin for engineered.

Bsperr

Reaction score
If you don't already have a compressor and finish nailer, that would also help out with your trim work.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A good sliding mitre saw with available extension tables (you may add them later). This could substitute for a radial arm saw if the arm is fairly long. This is good for mitering trim as well as flooring. the table extensions make it reasonable to work on long pieces of trim or flooring.

A plunge router is handy if you are going to be doing things like making pockets for the set-in hinges on doors and things. Also handy to route slots for making bookcases (although you may be able to do this with the miter saw but not as cleanly). A small router like a RotoZip is handy to cut drywall or paneling around outlets or other electric boxes. With attachments, you can do a bunch of other things okay (specialized tools do it better, but it's not bad).

A laser level is a good tool to have. One that supports a rotating head is good if you need to project a line around the room. One that can project a line in all three axis is also handy.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Without knowing what you want to do to them, it's hard to suggest any potential solutions. Cut them, sand them, make irregular cuts, how thick, etc.? What you can do to aluminum won't be the same with say a hard steel or soft pine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; For all my woodwork I use a handsaw and the occassional chisel.

When you get power tools you may be like the woodcutter who went to the store to buy a new longsaw. The salesman showed him a chain saw and told him he could cut trees faster with it. The next day he returned to the store and said the saw was useless. He said his longsaw could cut several trees in the time the chain saw cut one. The salesman couldn't believe it, so he refilled the gas tank, set the choke, primed the motor, and pulled the cord. The motor sprang to life with a roar, and the woodcutter jumped away, asking, "What was that noise and where did it come from"?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Save the crafty stuff for retirement. Then buy stuff as you need it. Never buy tools because you think you might need them. It's an unnecessary distraction from getting things done . Hope that makes sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks