Wood Floor Repair

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by sctclimbs, Jul 11, 2009.

1. sctclimbs

sctclimbs New Member

5 years ago I refinished my wood floors myself. it came out great except for one spot where I left some swirl marks from the edge sander. Of course it is in a very obvious spot and right over where I installed a nice border of blood wood and birdseye maple. I cant take it any more and want them out. I was thinking I could sand it down with my orbital sander and feather out the area into the surrounding wood to not make it obvious. Thoughts/suggestions?

The second photo is a small area where some wet shoes were left on the floor and caused the finish to fade a little. Can I just lightly sand there with some 120 grit and apply some more finish.

FYI: The floor is not stained and I used a water based poly.

Attached Files:

2. dgold

dgold Product R&D for a powertool manufacturer

That's what I'd try to do. Just make sure you keep the random orbit sander nice and flat -- on edge they can gouge the wood. Maybe start with 80 to quickly flatten it out the ridges and valley's, followed by 120 or 150 to smooth it.
  3. sctclimbs

sctclimbs New Member

Worked great. Thanks.
  4. walton02

walton02 Guest

Well,

Many people feel that oak wood flooring is best used only in places like dining rooms and bedrooms because people will not use these areas as much as some other rooms in the home, but with the availability now of engineered oak flooring, it can be used just about anywhere, even the bathroom.

Overall, oak wood flooring is a great way to decorate your home. It creates a particular inviting quality, one that rarely makes an appearance in a home without wood flooring. This type of flooring is essential for any home owner who loves changing the feel of their rooms.
  5. Tomcleverley

Tomcleverley New Member