Wirsbo (Uponor) fitting difference?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Rad777, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Rad777

Rad777 New Member

What is the difference between Q4505050 & Q4515050? Respectively Brass Fitting Adapter versus Brass Copper Pipe adapter.

Q4505050-ProPEX-Brass-Fitting-Adapter

Q4515050-ProPEX-Brass-Copper-Pipe-Adapter

The reason I ask for the difference is because I was thinking about how to transition from PEX to Copper -> Valves and/or directly to Valves from PEX.

Are these fittings something I could just sweat a valve onto?

Thank you
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

At first glance, the difference I seen was 5 cents :D

Seriously, the Q4505050 fitting looks like a male sweat fitting meaning it will sweat in to a fitting like a tee. The Q4515050 looks like a female sweat fitting meaning it will sweat on to a pipe.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Wirsbo

The male/street one will sweat into a valve, the other solders onto copper tubing which would then be sweated into a valve.
  4. Rad777

Rad777 New Member

Thanks for the replies & help!

Still deciding if I am going to Pex all the way to the fixtures/valves, or if I am going to transition to copper and attach it to a stud or a 2x4 horizontally betweeb studs.
  5. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

I would recommend stubbing out with copper. A drop ear fastened to some blocking makes for a very sturdy pipe to connect stops and showerheads to.

Check out this link for some ideas.
  6. Rad777

Rad777 New Member

Thanks for the recommendation and the advice. I read a few posts by Terry mentioning that practice as well and I think that is what I will use/do.

Thanks