wiring two lights from one switch through a junction box

Users who are viewing this thread

Xiegpi

Reaction score
I neet to wire two lights off of one switch, with the power coming in through the switch and then going to the lights. The wire from the switch to the lights will go through the attic and the light fixtures are on opposite sides of the room below the attic. To save time and wire, I would rather not run one wire re to light one and then another wire from light one to light two. I would rather go from the switch to a junction box and then send one wire to each light. My question is: How do I wire the junction box with the three cables? Is it simply black to black, white to white, or do I need to need to make a loop, using the white as a hot wire.

Thanks for your input.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
This is simple and in my opinion if you don’t understand how then you need to hire a professional.

All three whites go together under a wire nut.
The black supply to one end of the switch

One light back stabbed into the other end of switch with the other light wrapped around the screw.

Both lights work from one switch and are wired from that switch

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With a "J" box, the hot/black, and white/neutral, AND the ground wire would pass through the switch box, with the switch interupting the hot wire. In the "J" box all the whites would be tied together, all the blacks tied together, AND all the grounds tied together. But as stated, this is such an elementary situation that just asking the question implies it is NOT something you should be doing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks