Wiring for hood and microwave

Users who are viewing this thread

thebordella

Reaction score
I just removed an old range hood, leaving behind just the power lead from the wall as seen here:

hoodspace.jpg

I want to place a countertop microwave oven in the cabinet above, and of course replace the range hood with a new model. My question is how I can tap into this power lead for the microwave in the cabinet above? Since the microwave has a standard wall plug -- is there some way to run a second branch off this power lead, and somehow connect it to the plug from the microwave? For example, could I run a branch to a surface mount outlet inside the cabinet?

Of course I need to keep a direct lead like this for the new hood, as well.

Thanks for any ideas...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Microwaves take about 1 kw so make sure that wire & its [dedicated?] breaker is adequate.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Physically, yes. In reality, maybe not. Some hoods can draw a lot of power (heat lamps, big fans, lights, etc) and some microwaves can draw upwards of 1100-1200W, and often suggest a dedicated circuit, you might overload the circuit. You'd have to add up the current draws, then determine if it is a 15 or 20A circuit and what else may be on it, if anything. An electrical inspector might look at the installation instructions, and if it calls for a dedicated circuit, he may not allow anything else to be attached, regardless.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
First, you need to determine what else is on this circuit. If it is has no other possible loads your all set. If it services a countertop outlet or the fridge you may want to consider running a new circuit for the microwave as there is a high probability that you will overload the circuit at some point.

Anyway, assuming there are no other loads you need to determine if this wire is coming down from the ceiling or up from the basement/slab. If it is coming down I'd cut a hole for a new outlet in the cabinet, pull up the existing wire to connect to the outlet, then run a piece of wire back down from the outlet and out to the hood.

Coming up from the slab/basement is a bit more complicated. In a location that is accessible to the wire, and can be completely concealed behind the hood I'd install a 1 gang old work box in the wall to use as a splice point. From there I'd run a piece of wire up to a new outlet in the cabinet for the microwave. I'd then run a short piece of wire from the splice box to connect to the hood and put a blank faceplate on the box that is going to be concealed by the hood.

Either way you'll need to do some cutting into the wall, but its fairly straightforward. Buy the hood before you do anything.

-rick

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Or put a duplex receptacle inside cabinet and run a power cord with a plug on the end from the range hood. But then most people would use a combintion range hood/microwave so they did not need a ladder to operate the microwave's control panel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks