Wiring a workshop 3 wire question

Users who are viewing this thread

83mulligan

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have an issue here. I've been reading on this forum a bit and have come to realize I need 4 wire to wire an outbuilding and service panel that meets code.

Well, here is where I'm at. A few years ago i ran a trench 30 inches deep to my outbuilding. I put in a 2" conduit with a satellite cable, a pex water line and a 10 guage 2 wire with ground. I wrapped the three components in pipe insulation and pulled it through a section of conduit at a time and glued the pvc up. I think its about 60 ft. from house to outbuilding. It was a really tight fit and was a real pain.

Well, now its 2012 and I'm ready to start building my woodworking shop. I read that in need a 3 wire with ground. My question is this. There is a Romex line running to the outbuilding now that is on one 20 amp circuit in the house panel. its burried along a different path and not in conduit. It is grounded to a rod and it is 12 guage. Can I disconnect it from the main inside and use the wires at the outbuilding as a 4th wire or does the difference in gauge kill this idea?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to electrician work so please forgive me for messing up terminology.

Thanks,

Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, if you only have one circuit in the outbuilding (and no subpanel), you could use what you have. Only if you need or want more circuits off a subpanel to include 240vac stuff, would you need a 4-wire connection.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Really ?

A reason would have been nice.

Code requires a 4-wire (2-hot, neutral, and separate ground in one cable) to be able to use a subpanel. IOW, the wires must be routed together, not separated.

Kevink1955

Reaction score
And you cannot put CATV and a water line in the conduit with your electrical service, start diging for a second conduit.

83mulligan

Reaction score
And you cannot put CATV and a water line in the conduit with your electrical service, start diging for a second conduit.

Why not the water line. I thought burried conduit was considered a wet environment anyways? I think I'll pull the sat cable out and pull a fourth line through for the sub panel. This would work. I suppose I could just not get it inspected as well.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

I don't see why not.

Beer Keg line also.

Don't forget the compressed air line.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why not the water line. I thought burried conduit was considered a wet environment anyways? I think I'll pull the sat cable out and pull a fourth line through for the sub panel. This would work. I suppose I could just not get it inspected as well.
The way you want to do it sounds like maybe you should have the water line terminate in the sub-panel with a hose bib:eek:

I assume you are joking, as I am too:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks