Wires too short to reach new load center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mindz i

Reaction score
Alright, it's no go on the old box being used as a junction box. I decided to email the Chief Electrical Inspector one more time to make sure I properly explained what I was wanting to do. He said he wouldn't approve of a gutted load center as a junction box. But, he keeps stating that I need to upgrade to a 200 amp panel, when I've made it clear both times that I'm doing just that. This statement keeps me thinking he doesn't understand what I'm asking. But, I feel I'm chasing my tail. Our tax dollars at work, I suppose. So, now I got to figure out how to get the wires into the new panel...

Here's what I sent him.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. I wasn't trying to take up your time trying to get advice on how to do it. Just wanted to make sure that it's ok with the code department if I gutted the old box to use as a junction box and if using butt splice kits are acceptable. I've read in forums where electricians have gutted old panels and used them as a junction boxes. But, because it would no longer be UL listed if modified like this, it might not pass inspection if the inspector didn't approve. The wire wouldn't reach the new box and would have to be replaced or extended using splices. The current box is 13"x8-1/2"x3-1/2". I figure that should be more than enough room for all the splices. Putting in all new wire would add around $400 dollars to the overall cost. I'm trying to avoid this. The current meter is rated for 200 amps and the load center I'm wanting to install, is rated for 200 amps as well.

This is the current set up.
(A picture was here for him to see our current box and meter.)

This is kind of what I want to do, except using the old box as a junction box.
(A picture showing the neighbors set up.)

This was his response.

I would not approve as a junction box. You need to replace the old panel with an updated one sized at 200 amps if that’s what size you need.

It's almost as if he thinks I want to install the guts of a 200 amp panel in the old panel. But, I said I wanted to use the old panel as a junction box not to house the new 200 amp parts.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
as far as being code compliant using the old panel would be fine. Ask him to show you why it wouldn't be.

Mindz i

Reaction score
I would, but he really doesn't seem like he's interested in answering questions. I think he's just skimming through the email, causing him to not comprehend what's being asked. Why else would he constantly say to upgrade the panel to a 200 amp service if I've repeatedly established that that's what I'm doing? Now I see why electricians charge so much. All of this bureaucratic nonsense you guys have to deal with.

Mindz i

Reaction score
Alright, I've gotten tired of this box... so, I lit it on fire. I feel better now. :) Smells a little funny though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Good, now a pro can bill your insurance Co. for the new panel.

No joke, however, we had a wildfire and I lost 4 entire entrance panels and poles here. The Power company lost miles of main line.

PVC loves to burn, and can continue underground for some long distances. The power co. was kind enough to give away some shortened main line poles to use as service drop poles to help in the catastrophe.

I spent some time in the fire keeping it out of a canyon where the dead end PO CO high voltage wires are hanging from huge pine trees - I knew it would take them a year to replace my treees with poles.

Yes, up until about 10 years ago, they hung crossbars on trees in certain places and used oak trees as tie backs!

Of course THEN, they provided free service.

Now, installing that line would mean clearing 500 trees and paying 80,000$ for the new "to code" service. Our government at work.

Last edited:

Midimagic

Reaction score
Two thoughts here, even though this is 4 years old. It might save others from grief:

1. If you upgrade the breaker box to a higher amperage, the service drop must also be upgraded to a higher amperage. The main breaker also protects the service drop from overcurrent.

2. If this box is outside, a water leak may be the source of the problem.

3. If the wires are too short, you can always put a disconnect box in the line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks