Wire size for Induction Cooktop and seperate double oven.

Users who are viewing this thread

MrBillyd

Reaction score
My house was built in 79. I am removing my 30 year old stove/double oven combo.
The wire that is being fed from the 50amp breaker is about 80 feet long.
The markings say Stabiloy Type SE XHHW 300volts to ground 3CDRS 6 AL
My new situation will be an Induction Cooktop on one breaker and seperate double oven.
The cook top takes a 50amp breaker and the double oven takes a 40amp breaker (per the spec sheets)
I am pulling another feed which will be 6/2

Which wire should I put on my 40amp breaker?
My 30 some year old AL wire has been on the 50amp circuit without issue.
If the 6/2 could handle the load on the Induction cook top better, then I would swap them:)

Bill

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
6 SE AL is only rated for 40A.
Often double ovens are not straight 240V and would need three conductor plus a ground. Are you sure 6/2 will work for the oven?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is probably 6/2 entrance cable which, in the old days, used the outer wrapping for the neutral and ground. Both the oven and cooktop need a 120/240 circuit because of the control wiring. Good call going with induction cooktop. For a long time reasonably priced and available ones were nonexistent. Fortunately, my original one lasted long enough for new 36" models to become available.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks