Wire size

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by MrBillyd, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MrBillyd

MrBillyd New Member

My house was built in 79. I am removing my 30 year old stove/double oven combo.
    The wire that is being fed from the 50amp breaker is about 80 feet long.
    The markings say Stabiloy Type SE XHHW 300volts to ground 3CDRS 6 AL
    My new situation will be an Induction Cooktop on one breaker and seperate double oven.
    The cook top takes a 50amp breaker and the double oven takes a 40amp breaker (per the spec sheets)
    I am pulling another feed which will be 6/2

Which wire should I put on my 40amp breaker?
    My 30 some year old AL wire has been on the 50amp circuit without issue.
    If the 6/2 could handle the load on the Induction cook top better, then I would swap them:)

Bill
  2. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

6 SE AL is only rated for 40A.
    Often double ovens are not straight 240V and would need three conductor plus a ground. Are you sure 6/2 will work for the oven?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is probably 6/2 entrance cable which, in the old days, used the outer wrapping for the neutral and ground. Both the oven and cooktop need a 120/240 circuit because of the control wiring. Good call going with induction cooktop. For a long time reasonably priced and available ones were nonexistent. Fortunately, my original one lasted long enough for new 36" models to become available.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012