winterizing home in upstate new york

Users who are viewing this thread

KennyCob

Reaction score
I have one question. When I drain all the pipes, hot water heater, and well tank. There is a 3 feet piece of 1" or 1 1/4" poly hose that goes from the tank through the basement foundation to the submersable well. This has a check valve I gather.. My question is... Does that exposed pipe hold water or does this water in the pipe drain back to the well after the pump is shut off. Should I be concerned that the poly will expand due to freezing. Temps in this area can get well below 0 Thank you... Ken

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have one question. When I drain all the pipes, hot water heater, and well tank. There is a 3 feet piece of 1" or 1 1/4" poly hose that goes from the tank through the basement foundation to the submersable well. This has a check valve I gather.. My question is... Does that exposed pipe hold water or does this water in the pipe drain back to the well after the pump is shut off. Should I be concerned that the poly will expand due to freezing. Temps in this area can get well below 0 Thank you... Ken

If the piping is horizontal then no it shouldn't hold water. If the piping is coming up vertically through the slab then yes it will hold water above the checkvalve to the pipe invert on the lowest horizontal piping it supplies....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks