Winterizing a rain barrel pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Themp

Reaction score
Have this cheapo pump for a 300 gallon rain barrel, which has to be winterized. I have drained and taken inside and also taken inside with it still primed. In both cases it is locked up in the spring from rust. Once I manually break the rust lock it runs fine, but I have had to replace this pump pretty regularly as the bearings just fail. Would propylene glycol RV fluid or some other kind of lubricant help extend the life of this pump during the winter months while sitting in the basement?

http://www.harborfreight.com/34-hp-clear-water-pump-650-gph-62508.html

Thanks, Tom

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Would propylene glycol RV fluid or some other kind of lubricant help extend the life of this pump during the winter months while sitting in the basement?

That may help, But how are you going to keep it in the pump ?

Just plugging the In and Out may work also.

Good Luck.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It has a foot valve so was going to basically prime it with RV fluid...

A foot valve stays closed under pressure, It may slowly leak out, with no pressure to keep it closed.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks