Window Unit Set On It's Side, Uh Oh...

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
So a relative of mine recently purchased a new window unit, unfortunately it was stored on it's side and we were given incorrect information about how long we should wait before using the system after putting it upright.

We were told an hour and wound up running it about three hours after it was set upright.

We ran into some trouble with the unit and we are trying to figure out what the deal is.

After running the unit fine for about two weeks it froze up one night so we called and a repair tech was sent out, he had to tap into the system to check it out and finds that it's about 8oz low on refrigerant, he takes care of it and it proceeds to freeze up again the same night.

Now it's normally in the mid eighties at night here.

The second guy that came out seemed to think that we can't run the system with the fan on low, energy saver on, and the thermostat at about the middle (again they keep the temperature in the upper seventies, it's not cold or hot it's comfortable).

He said we have to run the fan on high, and I would agree that it's probably not the best idea to have the thermostat at it's coldest and the airflow at it's lowest, but that's not what they do.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

EDIT: Just wanted to add, the previous was a 24K BTU that never froze up and this one is also a 24K BTU, the home is approximately 28X40.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure where you bought it but you could try returning it and getting another unit. If the new unit freezes up I would return it and get another model or brand. It shouldn't be freezing up at the temps you are running it at even when set on low. Does the user manuel say anything about what to expect when running it or the wait time required when it is tipped?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It may be damaged. My rule of thumb is that a refrigerator..or window unit....which has been on its back ( or side ) must "rest" 2 hours for every 15 minutes it was tipped over.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If it ran fine for 2 weeks, I would doubt the storage is the issue, as far as the relocation of refrigerant. If you were low on freon, and it was filled, did he check for leaks or just add?

PM5K

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't recall asking if he checked for leaks.

He did seem to know what he was doing and what he was talking about so I doubt he went through all the trouble to tap into the system, check the pressure, add freon, and then close everything back up and not bother to check for leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks