Will Plumber know what crimp ring to use on Uponor PB to PEX fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by CountryBumkin, Oct 25, 2009.

1. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

I am remodeling my bathroom which includes installing new fixtures. I plan to use all PEX. The existing pipe in my house is PB. I am using the Uponor (Wirsbo) PEX and plan to cut off the PB and connect it to PEX where it comes through slab. I already bought the PB to PEX fittings from PEXSupply.

However, the PB to PEX fittings do not come with a crimp ring for the PB side of the fitting. Since I don't have a PB crimp tool, I was planning on calling a local Plumber to make the connection/crimp.

My question is, would this "PB to PEX fitting" use a standard crimp ring (if there is such a thing as a standard for PB)? Will the Plumber have the right parts on hand?

Are all the 1/2" and 3/4" PB rings the same or were there different "brands" of PB requiring different sizes/types of crimp rings (like we see with PEX fittings)?

I don't want my Plumber to just use whatever crimp ring he has in his tool box (not knowing any better) if there is a special ring needed.

I should/will call Uponor but I thought I'd start here.

Thanks
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

keep calling around until you find one that does
  3. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

Sorry, I don't understand your reponse. Are you saying I should call various Plumbers until I get the answer? If so, I don't know what the right answer is. I mean, if the guy (plumber) says the fittings/crimp-rings are all the same, either he may be right, or he may think he's right. If he thinks he's right and he uses the wrong crimp ring, I have a problem (possibly a few years later).

My question is "are there different crimp rings used on PB pipe/fittings depending on who made/manufacturered the pipe or fitting"?

Thanks for replying.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

He's not much of a plumber if he does not know the answer but for your edification, the rings are the same yes, with the exception of those used for Watts Pex.
  5. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

Thanks.

I wanted to stay at a Holiday Inn last night but got lost on the way and had to sleep in the car.
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

BTW, You may be able to rent a crimp tool at your local plumbing supply house
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

crimp

Here, the PB crimp ring is slightly thicker and a black color.