will NPT fitting work with IPS fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rick.a, Apr 13, 2011.

1. rick.a

rick.a New Member

Are these 2 standards the same? Or do they have different taper, or thread count or pitch? I tried to look this up but got more confused than ever. I now know what they stand for, but will they fit together properly and not leak. Using 3/4" brass fittings.
    thanks,

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    You have to define whether "IPS" means "iron pipe size" or "iron pipe straight" thread

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

In most contexts, we are talking about the same thing. NPT refers to National Standard Pipe Thread Tapered. IPS is not a stricly technical term, or at least it doesn't refer to threads. It stands for IRON PIPE SIZE, so really refers to pipe ID and OD. In most contexts, we use IPS in referring to NPT ( tapered) threads, although there are plenty of applications in daily use where the threads are NPS ( National Standard Pipe Thread Straight).

Now you know why plumbers mumble to themselves in their sleep!

5. BenWara

BenWara New Member

per the 27th edition of the Machinery's Handbook, NPT refers to American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread. :)

6. rick.a

rick.a New Member

OK, thanks.