Will New Location for Shower Only Valve Work?

Users who are viewing this thread

SVWillow

Reaction score
Remodeling bathroom, want to place the walk-in shower’s valve (thinking of using a Moen Model 3510 Meontrol) on wall opposite the shower head. This will entail about a six foot run of ½” CPVC with 4 or 5 90 degree elbows between valve and shower head. Inputs are two ½” CPVC lines (hot and cold) using ½” IPS adapters.

Moen suggested using the Tub outlet rather than the Shower outlet. Apparently this would require some changing around the guts, in order to keep the hot, cold and volume compatible with the trim.

Does all this make sense? Should I turn the valve upside down and plumb to the shower head from there? Would running ¾” from the valve outlet to the shower head gain me anything? (I know I’d have to find the proper size adapters at both ends) And can anybody give me step by step instructions as to what needs to be done to the valve guts so that cold is cold and hot is hot, etc.?

Once again, Much thanks for any help,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Moen valve is ONE of the few that CANNOT be inverted. You have to pipe from the bottom of the valve and then go around it to get to the shower head.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How many heads are you planning? If only one, the 'normal' shower output should work. Federal mandate calls for a maximum of 2.5gpm for any single showerhead, and the smaller port should provide that. Note, though, that that long run with various angles will probably not self-drain, and you'll have a slug of cold water in there that may end up dripping for an extended time. To partially overcome that, some put in a tub spout in the shower with a built-in diverter to first get the water temp right, then offer the chance of letting air in so the line can drain. It still may not depending on slope. It also gives you a way to fill say a bucket, if you wanted to use it to mop up or other purposes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks