Will I flood my house?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ajmicek, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ajmicek

ajmicek New Member

So I recently installed the Culligan US-EZ-4 water filter under my kitchen sink. Water tastes great. I'm happy. My wife is happy. Here's how I did it:

waterFilter.jpg

I didn't use Teflon tape: flat washers, and I with tightened metal-metal fittings to hand tight + 1/2 turn and metal-plastic a little tighter than that until leaks stopped. Has been bone dry for 96 hours (been checking regularly).

Will this work long term, or am I going to flood my house?

Thanks!!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Good question. And the answer is "we don't know", but I do know there are better ways to do it than that "small to large to small" multiplicity of adapters and the plastic tee.
  3. ajmicek

ajmicek New Member

Thanks for the reply! You make a good point. I made the mistake of assuming that just because the adapter was included in the box that it would be a good thing to use. :(

The way I've seen it done elsewhere with this particular filter is a copper tee to a second dedicated valve, 1/4 copper tubing from that and a push fit coupling to attach the filter line...
  4. dj2

dj2 Member

Instead of this plastic T, use a three-way angle stop with 3/8" and 1/4" outlets right off the nipple from the wall, AND SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT.