Will a Toto Drake CST743E fit my 10 3/4" rough-in?

Users who are viewing this thread

iLikeDirt

Reaction score
I have a 10 3/4" rough-in whose 12" rough-in toilet is leaking (probably due to being installed incorrectly and not fitting properly). It also flushes poorly and gets uncleanably filthy. After perusing the threads here, I've concluded that a Toto Drake CST743E will fit the bill. I've read that the Drakes with a 12" rough-in can fit in a 10 7/8" space. My space is 1/8" less than that. Does anybody here know if it will fit anyway? Can I tilt the tank forwards a teeny bit to get it in there?

JMac

Reaction score
I have mine on a 11" RI, and it is pretty much on the wall.
There is a 10" RI version of the CST744 (elongated bowl vs 743 round bowl): CST744EF.10
Another thing to check is the 'N' tank... it is a new version of the tank for the Drake, but I don't know its exact measurements.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
No.

An experienced plumber can "cheat" it a little on most flanges, but you're a bridge too far if you're centering it on the flange.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No.

An experienced plumber can "cheat" it a little on most flanges, but you're a bridge too far if you're centering it on the flange.

We would be able to move it away from the wall some. You can go as much as 3/8" offcenter on the flange.
Do not tilt the tank. We like to assemble the tank to the bowl before setting. You can also install the tank to the bowl last. But if you are considering doing a tight install like that, we like to have it assemble first and dry set first. Sometimes the wall will lean, and sometimes not the direction that is helpful.

Any snow in New York?

juno_dangerruss.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Any snow in New York?

This was the lamest "blizzard" ever. Twelve inches over 2 days on the North Shore of LI. Nothing different from the kind of storm we get a few times a year. More snow closer to the Hamptons, but that's not our problem. :) In Manhattan, maybe 6 inches. The New Mayor and the New Governor went all Police State over this thing, banning travel after 11pm and warning you'd be charged with a misdemeanor and a $300 fine. They closed all bridges and tunnels into and from the City at 11pm, and threatened travelers with arrest. They shut down the busses and subways and commuter rail. (In Connecticut, the governor said that if you were out, they might tell you to go home, but that's it. "Road Closing" meant "we're asking you not to drive". That's how it should be done.)

Of course, by 11pm, it was apparent to anyone watching that the storm wasn't tracking as expected -- given that the whiteouts were supposed to have occurred at 5pm and still hadn't appeared. But they kept up the hullabaloo all night long. Only in the a.m. did the meteorologists come clean: the Post headine was "Meteorologists: 'Sorry About Getting That Blizzard Thing Wrong.'"

So they shut down The City That Never Sleeps and left people walking even though everyone realized that the busses and subways and taxis could have kept running. A major economic hit to a lot of folks and businesses, really for nothing.

Now the finger-pointing begins. It started with our New Mayor, "They didn't ask me whether to shut down the subways. They just told me it was happening." Classy. New York politics are SO FUN!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Monday morning quarterbacks are always right. Weather forecasting is educated guessing based on conditions that a totally out of human control. Yeah, their guess wasn't 100% accurate this time, but if they had predicted this would not be a severe storm and then the big one hit, you guys would be all over them!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the weather forecasting computer model had just been changed and it actually was right, but they used a different model, which, obviously was wrong. There are 3 in common use, and you've got a good chance of being right when they all agree, but these didn't, and they chose the one that happened to be wrong...it was right for most of New England, though! Worchester, MA got 33.5" and set an all-time record for one storm - there were places that really did get hammered. I'm not sure what I officially had on the ground, but it looked like a bit over a foot. Enough to be a pain. A couple of miles, or a few hundred feet of elevation change can make a huge difference in a coastal storm around here.

Depending on the flange you choose, most of them have long slots for the hold-down bolts. THe holes in the toilet are also a little sloppy so that you can still make them work when you've slid the bolts and the toilet forward a bit. As long as the toilet outlet is still over the hole in the toilet flange, it can be off-center and still work fine...the toilet's outlet ID is in the order of a bit over 2", and the ID of the flange is at least 3", so you have some room to make it work off-centered, at least a bit. Just remember, when using wax, you can't actually slide the toilet, so you must preposition the bolts and set the toilet down straight to compress the wax and make the seal.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Worcester, MA got 33.5" and set an all-time record for one storm...

I was in the blizzard of '78... 55" fell that day... Took me 10 hours to go 30 miles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=worcester, ma blizzard of 1978&client=firefox&hs=TaT&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&biw=1262&bih=837&tbm=isch&imgil=WJ6-xjUPC7HZ5M%3A%3B6BmKix6z19iq-M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.worcestermass.com%252Fplaces%252Fblizzard78.shtml&source=iu&pf=m&fir=WJ6-xjUPC7HZ5M%3A%2C6BmKix6z19iq-M%2C_&usg=__053aIHdmVS_WtuWN9xi18NI6YV0=

http://www.worcestermass.com/places/blizzard78.shtml

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080206/NEWS/802060619&Template=printart

The storm that started in the early afternoon 30 years ago today dropped 20.2 inches of snow at Worcester Regional Airport, while areas south and east of Worcester got 36 inches. Drifts reached 15 and 20 feet high in places and in many cases were next to ground swept clean by winds clocked at more than 50 miles per hour.

Relatively speaking, Worcester County was lucky. An unofficial snow depth of 55 inches was measured in Lincoln, R.I., while Boston got 27 inches of snow propelled by winds of up to 75 miles per hour. Four consecutive high tides driven by howling northeast winds caused devastation along the Massachusetts coast.

Trust me, it was a lot more than 36"... Oh, it may have dropped 20-some inches but the wind piled it much higher. Where I was it was about 55".

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks