will a pressure assisted toilet help horizontal drain flow?

Users who are viewing this thread

78scout

Reaction score
Hello all, I changed my 15 yr old toilet for cosmetic reasons with a cadet 3. Now the tub and toilet drain keeps backing up. Never had a problem for 28 years with that bathroom. plumber said the horizontal drain was not sloped enough when it was built 28 yrs ago. The old toilet had enough water volume to push the waste through the weakly sloped drain pipe. The new toilet is a 1.28 gpf. Will a pressure assisted 1.6gpf toilet help move things better? The horizontal drain pipe is about 30 ft. I should have just kept the old toilet! Thanks for the input.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't sell a toilet unless the drain line carry is at least 40 feet. Are you sure you don't have some other problem with the line?

By the way, the 1.1 gallon Flushmate will push over 60 feet.

[video=youtube_share;Rrcuvd2vV6o]http://youtu.be/Rrcuvd2vV6o[/video]

Last edited:

78scout

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry. Im not a plumber...but I visually inspected the line underneath the house for damage or leaks...nothing. I made sure the vent line on the roof was clear. All the other plumbing in the house is working fine. This problem started one week after replacing the toilet. The line was cleaned out by a plumber and the problem recurred a few days later. Perhaps a second drain clearing will be more effective before changing the toilet again or even redoing the drain line. Thanks again for the input Terry!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check the line for slope. If it has any sections that are either horizontal or bellies (where it dips then rises again), things will slow down enough to create problems. You need at least the minimum of 1/4" per foot slope for things to work properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks