Wide Delta T

Users who are viewing this thread

milwrick

Reaction score
I installed a Versa-Hydro 130-55 a few months ago; I have a few questions:

I have a wide Delta T, 30-35* and variable speed system pump does not meet the Delta T. With current heating load of 17,000 Btu/hr and a 30* Delta T, I'm running about 1.25 GPM.

1. I'm using a 20* Delta T in the Hydro settings with ODR; should the Hydro be set for a lower Delta T, like 8-9*?

2. I'm using zone control valves (actuators) with t-stats for each zone. The system pump is a Taco VT-2218 set for 20* Delta T. The supply temp on the pump is 5-7* lower than what the Hydro shows on the display for supply temp. The temp on the pump is always lower than what the Hydro says the supply temp should be; the supply sensor for the pump is 30" upstream from the supply union fitting on the Hydro. The supplied P+T gauge shows a lower water temp as well.

4. The supply and return temps shown on the VT-2218 are a 30-35* differential (supply 125* and return 95*) even though pump is set for a 20* Delta T; the pump runs between 56-58 watts. The pump never hits a 20* Delta T and seems to always run at full speed/watts. Does this seem right?

5. Since the Hydro is using a FPX and DHW water for for the FPX, how will this unit achieve condensing? I'm getting confused with the top and bottom tank temperatures and how this relates to condensing mode.

7. Is the idea to have the Hydro constantly be running during heating demand to maintain tank temp or to use the hot water in the tank and run the Hydro to get back to tank temperature?

Here are the 600 and 925 menu settings for the Hydro:

600:
CH 140
Delta T 20*
DHW Set 119*
Burner Run Offset 5*

925:
Max Tank Temp 180*
Offset 0*
WWSD 65*
Min Outdoor Temp -6*
Max Supply Temp 150*
Max Outdoor Temp 68*
Min Supply Temp 110*
Min Tank Temp 68*
CH Post Pump 0 min

Additional Info:
I'm using four remote manifolds, two on each floor, with flow meters and valve actuators on each circuit (11 zones). When I check the delta T at the remote individual manifolds, I'm getting a ~30-35* delta T. In the boiler room, the VT 2218 is reading 30-35* delta T.

The total heat load is 34,000 btu's, 5 feet of head, and a design 20* delta T for the quik-trak.

Looking at the VT 2218 flow graph, I'm in the lower section of the variable speed range.

I'm using quik-trak and most rooms are carpeted, wet area's are tile/wood (floor and ceiling joists are insulated).

Thanx for your help

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks