Wi-Fi Thermostat without C Wire

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
What model of white Roger's?

Thermostat Compatibility - 3-wire (RWG) White Rodgers 1311-102​

Or

3/4" Sweat Zone Valve (Two Wire) Brand: White Rodgers 1361-102​

or another model?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Currently what Brand of thermostat?

It's definitely three wire zone valve. 24v is applied to the W lead to open the valve, when the thermostat is satisfied it uses the Y lead to operate the zone valve to close.

Typical thermostats only apply power to the Y lead for cooling. White Roger's list compatible digital thermostats. None are wifi. You should call White Roger if they know of a compatible WiFi thermostat. As of now using a c-wire adapter won't work because of the Y lead.

Reicherb

Reaction score
Currently what Brand of thermostat?

It's definitely three wire zone valve. 24v is applied to the W lead to open the valve, when the thermostat is satisfied it uses the Y lead to operate the zone valve to close.

Typical thermostats only apply power to the Y lead for cooling. White Roger's list compatible digital thermostats. None are wifi. You should call White Roger if they know of a compatible WiFi thermostat. As of now using a c-wire adapter won't work because of the Y lead.

Thank you. I currently have battery powered Honeywell thermostats. I'm not spending much time at home and was thinking it would be great to set the temperature back when I was gone and be able to warm it back up before getting home. It's not a big need.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Thank you. I currently have battery powered Honeywell thermostats. I'm not spending much time at home and was thinking it would be great to set the temperature back when I was gone and be able to warm it back up before getting home. It's not a big need.
What Honeywell model. I want to look up its installation instructions. At the thermostat, please take picture of the wire connections.

Reicherb

Reaction score
I was finally able to get pictures of my thermostats. They are Honeywell RTH7600D1030 thermostats.

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_055151590.jpg
    IMG_20240103_055151590.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240103_055129918_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240103_055129918_HDR.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 37

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for the update and pictures. I'm familiar with this series of Honeywell thermostats. If you can provide a picture of the wiring and the zone valves wires. Trying to figure out how the valves are closed or default to close with no power?

One solution but it can get expensive, three T9 thermostats with remote sensors. They say Honeywell but are supported and manufactured by Resideo. Mount them in the boiler room. Add the sensors on each floor and access through WiFi to override the scheduled program. You can have multiple sensors with each thermostat. One concern would be if the second floor remote sensor and communicate with its thermostat in the boiler room?

Meanwhile I'll keep looking for you. It's possible the y wire is not used. Why I like to see the wiring.

How is your kid doing?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Where to they go. Heat is usually R to W turns on the heat but Y might be used to power a valve close. Take a few pics of the boiler piping and if there's controls on the wall.
Fitter is right. Need a picture of the wiring at the thermostat. The yellow lead may go to the O/B terminal.

Reicherb

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the thermostat and zone valve wiring.

My son is doing well. He received a heart transplant on 12/22 and came home on 1/5. It's been a long journey but the end is in sight.

Attachments

• 1000006565.jpg
    1000006565.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1000006564.jpg
    1000006564.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 37

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Just as I thought, the O lead is used to close the zone valve. So far it looks like you'll need a aux 24v transformer to power the WiFi thermostat or three T9 thermostats with a remote sensor for the 2nd and 3rd floors. T9 thermostat on Amazon are $147 with one remote sensor. Several remote sensors can be programmed on one thermostat and it uses an average temperature.

I need to read the T9 thermostat manual for the O lead. Most heat pumps the reversing valve is in the heat mode. 24v ac is applied to the O lead the operate the reversing valve for cooling. However, Trane units are the opposite.

Give me a few days on how the program for the O lead.

Reicherb

Reaction score
Just as I thought, the O lead is used to close the zone valve. So far it looks like you'll need a aux 24v transformer to power the WiFi thermostat or three T9 thermostats with a remote sensor for the 2nd and 3rd floors. T9 thermostat on Amazon are $147 with one remote sensor. Several remote sensors can be programmed on one thermostat and it uses an average temperature.

I need to read the T9 thermostat manual for the O lead. Most heat pumps the reversing valve is in the heat mode. 24v ac is applied to the O lead the operate the reversing valve for cooling. However, Trane units are the opposite.

Give me a few days on how the program for the O lead.
Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks