Why would anyone buy a high efficiency water softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

ridler77

Reaction score
Are my numbers off? From a previous post I calculated I need 2880 grains / day, and am looking at 1 cuft systems (32000grains).

I'm an engineer, and love to optimize solutions. So I've been looking for the most efficient water softener and have come across this one.

US Water Systems Fusion NLT http://www.uswatersystems.com/fusion-nlt-metered-water-softener.html . It's supposed to be smart and only recharge using only as much salt as needed, and uses counter flow regen, but not with soft water. The manual lists the regen specs of 25000 grains @ 6 lbs. This would recharge every 8.7 days using 42 cycles and 252 lbs of salt. It costs $1100.

They also have a standard metered solution http://www.uswatersystems.com/matrixx-premium-grade-metered-water-softener.html. This regens 20000 grains per 6lbs of salt. It would recharge every 6.9 days using 53 cycles and 315 lbs of salt. This one costs $795.

The difference is only 63 lbs of salt @ $5 / bag = $8 / year difference (neglecting water usage). This $8/year gets a 10 year warranty, and lifetime resin.

Doesn't seem like a bargain to me... Are there other, cheaper high efficiency systems out there? Or is high efficiency a waste of money?

Reach4

Reaction score
It's supposed to be smart and only recharge using only as much salt as needed, and uses counter flow regen, but not with soft water.

I think pretty much all softeners use counterflow regen. I think pretty much all single tank softeners use unsoftened water to regen.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think pretty much all softeners use counterflow regen. I think pretty much all single tank softeners use unsoftened water to regen.
This is not correct. All EcoWater (Sears) & Kinetico are counter flow. Fleck, Clack & Autotrol are down flow, but some are able to be set for for either. IMO, down flow is better. With a counter flow, you have a higher risk of hardness bleed though.

Reach4

Reaction score
This is not correct. All EcoWater (Sears) & Kinetico are counter flow. Fleck, Clack & Autotrol are down flow, but some are able to be set for for either.
My mistake. I was thinking of the backwash cycle rather than brine draw.

ridler77

Reaction score
So were my number correct? Is there such a thing as a "high efficiency" water softener. I've come across things like Vortex baskets and soft water brine fill (for double tank systems). Are any of these worth it?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't trust the # (25000 @ 6 lbs). I've always know that 6 lbs of salt will yield 20,000. I don't recommend a counter flow regen. You run a higher risk of hardness bleed though. The cost is high. I sell a system called the Fusion (don't know if it's the same or not) for less than that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks