Why would a builder have a macerating toilet installed in a new home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobby Hockensmith

Reaction score
We are having a custom home being built which is almost complete. 75% of the basement is finished off with a powder room. The builder installed a macerating toilet which also has the drain from the sink connecting to it. When I asked him why this method was chosen he said it was more efficient and easier to troubleshoot and repair. I could see the part of troubleshooting since the grinder and pump is all exposed behind the powder room wall located in the unfinished area. It had been planned at the early stages before the foundation was poured to have a bathroom. Did my builder take a short cut?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the sewer line exiting the house is above the basement floor, you'd have two choices:
- use what he installed
- run plumbing lines beneath the slab to a sewage basin with a pump so that it can move the waste up to the exiting sewer line.

IOW, one way or another, you'd need a basin and a pump. IF the bathroom was added after the slab was poured, it was much more cost effective to use what he installed. If not, it probably was still a little less, but it does limit your choices down the road, as doing something like adding a shower would mean it would need to have a significant step up so that it could drain into your tank behind the toilet.

Reach4

Reaction score
Did he put in a sump for the drain tiles?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks