Why should dishwasher drain go to disposal inlet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dayster, Jun 20, 2007.

1. dayster

dayster New Member

[​IMG]

In a double sink situation where 1 sink has a garbage disposal, I have seen it stated that the dishwasher drain "must" be hooked into the inlet on the disposal provided for this purpose. Rather than to the other sink tailpiece.

Any reason why?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I don't know that it is mandatory.....it's just convenient.

3. The benefit is worthwhile as the periodic use of the dishwasher helps to keep that grinding chamber free moving, along with the benefit of the sound dampening rubber diaphragm. Installing into a tapped tailpiece will produce a louder sound when the dishwasher is operating.

Those who know safety, use Air Gaps to that dishwasher.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Dw

One benefit is that any food particles washed out of the dishwasher will be ground up by the disposer instead of going full sized down the drain. But otherwise you can run it to either spot.
  5. dayster

dayster New Member

Thanks guys!
  6. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Food particals and grease...better to have them discharge into a disposal than a plain tailpiece when available....sorry "rugged" fella, I forgot...be sure to put a cleanout thingy there too.